Sponsored by:

Help with St. Louis 993 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with St. Louis 993 Purchase

I am considering purchasing a 1996 C$ cab from Schmidt in St. Louis and need to know what thier reputation is and also a shop to ahave a pre-purchase inspection done. I am in So. Ca. and can't just fly in to see the car. The car has mid-30's mileage an dis supposed to be in great condition. Thanks

Topless in Temecula
'99 Boxster - gone
993 owner soon
Old 08-24-2004, 07:53 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please, let me be the first to tell you, your question definately requires a search.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:57 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

IIRC, the Schmidt outfit in St Louis has not had the best reputation. Do yourself a favor and search the archives as John D. mentioned...
Old 08-24-2004, 08:02 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, if I were a betting man I would say that TIT's question came from Schmidt himself...no harm meant, titty, it's just that this has been beaten to death...
Old 08-24-2004, 08:31 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to the Definitive Schmitt Thread . If you wish to pursue the car, do not fail to have a complete PPI at either Reid Vann (ask for John Rhodes) or Parktown Porsche (dealer). However, we are in the midst of a union mechanics' strike so Parktown is out, but Reid's shop is open (& very busy). FWIW, I've looked at a few Schmitt cars for Rennlisters & none were as pristine as advertised.
Just last month I posted this:
I looked over a "pristine, no issues" 993 cab under consideration by an out of town Rennlister. Although it had not been disclosed, it was evident the entire car had been repainted. Both rear tires were almost bald (although freshly "dressed"), the trunk pan was dented, there were impact marks on other front end components, exhaust tips protruded unequally & excessively, some interior issues, a water leak, etc., etc. It got a thumbs down from me.

I'm sorry, but when a used car dealer fails to disclose that a car has been extensively repainted, that dealer deserves its bad reputation.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks from Temecula

Realyy, I am in So. CAl. and appreciate the responses - the search continues for a 993, tip. Thanks again. Happy to return the favor for any car within 200 miles of San Diego.

Quick Reply: Help with St. Louis 993 Purchase