Sponsored by:

Rennlisters @ Laguna Seca ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Rennlisters @ Laguna Seca ....

Kary, Boris, Tom Webber, Mark, Kim, P Dilly, and a few others had an incredible time at Laguna Seca with the POC in the Make a Wish Foundation annual fund raiser/Time Trial/Club Races. POC raised $118,000 for NorCal Make a Wish, inctredible.

Most Rennlisters were safe with one minor exception....no names here please!
Kary was rocketship mid 1:40s. I won my class with a 1:50...I beat nobody...I was the only one in my class.

Kim showed up with Yellw Zonker, fresh back from the shop...it looks as good as ever and sounds great....what a beast!

Check out http://www.porscheownersclub.org next June for registration...what an incredible three (3) days.

Old 08-23-2004, 02:26 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was great putting faces to names. I appreciated the warm hospitality and the HWFMR team spirit present, has anyone posted a pic of the trailer banner? The hard part was sitting in the stands watching instead of being out there on the track. Clearly, I need a track car too!

Old 08-23-2004, 02:36 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin - great to meet you and Kary. I had a good time, albeit the DE run group was a bit slow.

Oh and I would have been in the same class as you. I turned a 1:54 at best (although I passed someone on that lap). 1:40 - now that's a hell-of-a-time for a 993.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 08-23-2004, 02:49 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I believe the POC LP class record is 1:43...I am 7 seconds off. I suppose with Hoosiers, better yet slicks, Guard or PMS LSD, short gears, that is 4 seconds, maybe....now where is the other three (3) seconds or so?

Good meeting you Boris and a host of other Rennlisters...
Old 08-23-2004, 02:55 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Martin, the other 3 seconds can be found in between the steering wheel & seat....

haha - couldn't resist.

btw, i noticed several people taking pics. Was that a professional photographer who sells them? If so can you kindly send me contact info...

Cheers,
Boris
Old 08-23-2004, 03:13 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking

Boris...you are so right on that...it all comes down to talent, some have it, some don't. I am just an intermediate hack...but I do have a good time, and I generally keep the car on the track.

There was a professional photographer at the track...I'll see if I can dig up his name.

Best regards,
Old 08-23-2004, 04:02 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Boris,
It was a pleasure meeting you and Tom as well. Martin and Kary, sorry for the quick point by's as I know that I should have blocked you guys more in the true spirit of HWFM. I was thrilled when I broke 2:00 (in my 944) on Friday. Got it down further, but those Vision guys (with talent) in their 944's were about 5 seconds faster than me.

Boris, the photographer is Norm at Head on Photos. Can be reached at www.headonphotos.net. They do good work. Here is a sample of his work of a Turtle hard at work...the hair is definitely chasing the turtle (and passing 4 turns later)...

Old 08-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, it was great fun. It's always a pleasure to meet other Rennlist members in the flesh!

Martin, my best time in the Turtle is a 1:51, and I know how much effort it's going to take to lose 1 second, much less 3 or 4. However, it's work I'll be happy to undertake. One day I'll have to figure out what class I would be in in POC.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Assuming you have coil overs on the car, something other than stock, you'll probably be in KP. Re 1:51, a great time at Laguna Seca.

Next time I do Laguna Seca, I am going to run my 18" wheels with Hoosiers. That should be good for a little time. To be competitive at POC in my class, that is if I wanted the Class record, I think I need a 1:43...now that is smoking. In addition to a lack of talent, my car is not pointed out in LP. I could use a Guard LSD as well as close ratio gears...that would help, but what if it didn't? Then I would clearly know, at a cost of close to $10,000, that I simply did not have the talent to go that fast. I like to think I could...but that may just be a delusion. I will go with stage 1, monster Hoosiers.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:06 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I could use a Guard LSD as well as close ratio gears...that would help,
Martin, get some gears and gaskets and bring that box over to my house, we'll get those gears changed

Sounds like you guys had fun (except for Boris' instructor), wish I could have made it up there. LS is one of the tracks that I truly would like to drive.. Most importantly to meet you guys!!

Next time!!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Chris,

My shopping commences immediately, if not sooner! LS was incredibly fun. The DE was 100% safe as was the Time Trial (White & Yellow Group). Laguna Seca is a very safe track if you drive the line with a well prepared car. My big excitement for the weekend, I dropped a wheel off at Turn 11...I just stayed on the gas as if I had planned it...no harm, no foul, no fowl either! I am OUT...time for dinner!
Old 08-24-2004, 01:14 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Martin is stopping by the shop tomorrow.. I think I will show him a Guard limited slip just to wet his wistle....
Old 08-24-2004, 01:33 AM
kary993
Drifting

Martin,
I think you are under estimating (stating) your driving ability. You were driving on small tires and not so sticky either. A 1:50 flat is excellent. If you recall I was following you on many occassion waiting for my slicks to heat up and you were hustling that beast around very well! When I was huslting those Dunlop's around the track to test them I am not sure that I was faster ;-)

Boris, I did not run a 1:40, but a low 1:43, though that was my personal record so I was happy. Wish I could have had another day as I think there was another 2 seconds on that track for me in turn 4,5, and 6!

Bob, careful with Martin, he will be weak after running all weekend! :-)

Nice seeing all you guys there over the weekend. Wish I could make the rumble :-((
Old 08-24-2004, 01:51 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Yoy guys are brutal...weak I am...more mods! More mods! This fever was fueled by Kim who stops by to chat on Sunday with Yellow Zonker, purring like an irritated lion. What a totally well thought out and tricked out car, incredible.

I am taking the long way home and will visit Viper Bob's shop. I am really looking forward to this. The bad news, I have to leave Paso Robles at 3:00 AM to beat the Bay Area 101 northbound traffic...what we wont do for our cars!
Old 08-24-2004, 01:57 AM
nman413
Drifting

Kary, you could come up for Tracquest

Quick Reply: Rennlisters @ Laguna Seca ....