New England foliage tour, recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:35 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default New England foliage tour, recommendations please

Hi,

We have never visited the New England area during leaf season. Looks like we may have a chance to go this October. I'm thinking of covering MA, NH, VT, and Maine. May not have enough time to visit up-state New York. We only have five days afterall.

I heard that the beauty of the area lies in the small country roads. (as opposed to the major freeways) I have looked at maps and consulted the net on the places to see. But with so many back roads around the area, it is impossible to decide which ones to take, and which ones to skip.

I value the road/drive as much as the sceneries along it. (I'm sure you folks understand why) So if you have favorite drives in the area, please post them here and I'll try to include them on our tour.

BTW, is five days enough, or we need to add more days?

Thanks.

CP
Old 08-22-2004, 08:53 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been many years since I've been up there but my fmily has land in western Massachussetts in the Berkshire mountain area. Incredibly scenic area.

I'm sure you will get much better and detailed descriptions of the area from the local Rennlisters.

Enjoy-

Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

We did it in 4 days a few years back, although it is so beautiful you could take months.

Kancamangus Trail
Old 08-22-2004, 10:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

CP,

There are GREAT roads all through NH and Vermont. Going up through the white mountains on the back roads (like Terry mentioned the Kancamangus) is awesome with the foliage. You need to plan NOW!!!!! The tourists at this time are unreal (that is how the state pays its bills). Hotel rooms are booked way in advance with individuals and tour groups.

You are going to have a nice trip....
Old 08-22-2004, 10:33 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Bob,

We checked briefly and as you mentioned, most places and flights are BOOKED!

We will plan it in detail, and may be go in 05 instead as we are talking about five people, two to three rooms. It seems that it could be tough to get space this year. I also checked Google and could not find the Boston 'Duck-Taxi" that Mrs. VB mentioned.

BTW, this is only 6 PM and you are back from Infineon already? How did the day go? At least it's not 100 degrees out.

CP
Old 08-23-2004, 07:55 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

CP

I'm embarrassed that none of my NE brethren have responded. A lot would depend on the time you have available. The season naturally progresses from north to south so depending on the amount of time, and arrival date as there are many factors contributing to the timing of peak leaf peeping. In Maine there are two really nice drives, US 201 in the western part of the state-much less travelled through the mountains, or Route 1 along the coast to Bar Harbor (Acadia National Park). The problem with both is access to the rest of NE. If you fly into Boston and rent a car, I would recommend a tour of New Hampshire, Vermont, and Mass (although IMHO we in Maine ARE the best). The recommendation of taking the Kakamangus is right on. I would drive from Beantown to the Mt. Washington valley (North Conway is the major town). Make sure to take the drive to the top of Mt. Washington if it is open-rubber briefs are optional. From there take the Kakamangus west and then north to the Northern Kingdom of Vermont. You can then take roads south through Vermont to the Bershire Range in MA.

Depending on the time available this can take up to two weeks or as little as several days (on the (yeech) Interstate system. I'd stay on state roads as much as possible. There are plenty of listers along the route for support if needed.

Hope this helps.

Al
Old 08-23-2004, 10:19 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry - we don't have foliage on the Cape....we have a lot of drunk tourists from Billerica and a lot of hotties from CT but no foliage.

I did manage to find the Duck Tours link though...

http://www.bostonducktours.com/
Old 08-23-2004, 02:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

CP, there are quite a few places to see here. 4-5 days should be enough. If you fly to Boston and go to NH, Maine, Vermont, possibly upstate NY (Letchworth park is well worth a visit in the fall and come back to Boston to fly out, you can easily do it in that amount of time.
Please email me for more details.

As far as flights, look at JetBlue. Cheap and, supposedly, very good. Flys to Logan.

BTW, if you need any local help here, don't hesitate to let me know.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Foliage

CP
Early October is probaly the best time to see peak foliage in Southern-Central New England. BTW - the official term is Leaf-Peeping.

Checkout Yankee Magazine -
http://www.yankeemagazine.com/travel/index.php

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/foliage/index.php

This link is very cool:
http://www.yankeemagazine.com/foliage/findcolor.php

http://www.foliage-vermont.com/

Dave
Old 08-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is probably heresy for a pcar driver, but there's a scenic rail trip that runs, I believe, from N. Conway NH to Franonia Notch? I'm going up to Maine mid-October to visit family, and my Mom & I are going to hang out in the dome car for 4-5 hours & cruise through the mountain valleys checking out the color.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here it is:

http://www.conwayscenic.com/

Quick Reply: New England foliage tour, recommendations please