Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to drive a C4 quick on a tight track? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 10:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Martin:
<strong>

You have got to be kidding. What incredibly lame advice. We are trying to help this guy, not get him killed or injured. You WERE joking, correct? </strong><hr></blockquote>

If he is on an autocross course it is worth a try.

I have heard the same suggestion but opposite for rain set up. You can loosen the rear bar or just disconnect it, you will have a terminal push but the car will be more predictable.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:29 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I auto cross a lot and would suggest that you definately go to first gear. Getting the car to oversteer is the way to go in a C4. In most cars this will slow you down but the awd realy pulls you out of the corners. to initiate oversteer don't let off the brakes until after your turn in point, ie start the turn while braking then get on the gas heavy and modulate throttle to control it. Another thing i noticed in autocrosses with the awd, if you are right next to a cone pivoting around it with the back end out, when the power is shifted to the front wheels you will run over the cone.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:17 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>

If he is on an autocross course it is worth a try.

I have heard the same suggestion but opposite for rain set up. You can loosen the rear bar or just disconnect it, you will have a terminal push but the car will be more predictable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree - not that crazy an idea. In the Spec Racers, plenty of folks run with the front bar disconnected. Pretty much everyone drops the rear bar in the rain. The SRFs handle a lot like a 911, so I would not be surprised to have the same thing work.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:42 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd pop my head back in here. I wasn't kidding when I suggested to disconnect the front sway bar. I suppose disconnecting the sway bar would be best initially tried on an autocross course where mistakes don't cost much. Most kart tracks have slick grass at the edge of the track without a lot of runoff room.

An awd car, especially factory stock, will usually tend to understeer at the limit. Disconnecting the front sway bar is something that can be done to counteract this in about 20 minutes with nothing more than a jack and a couple of wrenches.

Is there anyone out there with a C4 that has actually tried this?
Old 09-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I certainly didn't think Steve was kidding about disconnecting the front sway bar (I was serious with my "Atta-boy Steve "). It softens the front end and reduces understeer. In fact, it promotes oversteer; -just what is needed for the tight turns and transitions of an autox course. On my car (a C2 rather than a C4) I think it must cut 1 or 2 seconds off times on a 60-second course. Of course, one wouldn't want to use that strategy on a regular track.

Quick Reply: How to drive a C4 quick on a tight track? (long)