993 Forum 1995-1998

Virginia City Hill Climb

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Rand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virginia City Hill Climb

Has anyone ran the Virginia City Hill Climb in Nevada? From what I understand this is put on twice a year, in June and September, and consists of a two lane road, closed to traffic, from the Carson Valley up to Virginia City. The road is 5.2 miles long,with about 20 turns. Cars are started about a minute apart and are timed. I believe you get about 10 practice runs on Sat and 6 or 7 timed runs on sun. I have heard the fastest runs for the last 7 years have been made by a 993 Ruf TT at 3:24. Not bad for 5.2 miles of 25 mph turns. The Sept. event is put on by the Ferrari club and is limited to Ferraris, unless they cannot fill 70 spots, than they open it to other cars. My brother is running his Ferarri and sent me an entry form. I sent it in so hopefully I can get one of the spots. I'll need a few more Glendora Ridge runs to practice up.

If anyone knows of this event please let me know. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:27 AM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't run it but I know a number of people who have. The event is run only once a year now (Ferrari Club) because there were 2 people killed in a Viper at the Audi event a few years ago. Yes, it is VERY dangerous. Must be a tremendous thrill to run, but there are too many corners to really memorize, and the penalty for going off course is extremely high.

Gary

Quick Reply: Virginia City Hill Climb