Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have experience with Kumho tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

While they are cheap, I wouldn't use the Ecsta's on my 993. They didn't grip well in the dry on a BMW M car I used them on. Fine in the rain, but after installing these tires on the B-car the ASC-T (traction control) would come on around even normal corners. Original Michelin Pilot Sports were much better on that car.

Stick with Pirellis if you want to save some $ off the Michelins. All IMHO of course, as tires are subjective.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Martin,

Do you use them on De's or only for street?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:35 PM
uplarry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would not recommend Kumhos

This thread is a little old, but I thought I'd add my experiences with Kumho tires.

I put Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's on my '99 996 C2. I had them on for less than 1000 miles when one of the rears had a sidewall failure. It was not a blowout. But the sidewall fractured and the tire would not hold pressure.

Since the tires were under warranty, I got another one put on. In not much more time, the other rear tire had a sidewall failure. This time it was a blowout. Luckily, I had just gotten onto the freeway and was not going very fast (50mph maybe).

That was it. I returned the tires. The shop I went to took the tires back and gave me a good deal on some S02s.

Keep in mind that I am not an aggressive driver. The car is my daily driver.

For safety reasons, I will stick with N-rated tires from now on.

--
larry
Old 01-27-2005, 02:48 PM
rainmn
Instructor

I have the 712's on my 993 now. (Installed by the PO.) Don't like them at all. I'm not sure if I'll wait until they wear out to replace them, or if I'll do it sooner, but they are going.
The flat spotting effect from when the car sits for a few days is bad, as somone previously mentioned. Since my car isn't a daily driver, this is especially annoying.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Viken slapped my hand last month for recommending the MX based on my experience with them on a 330i. He pointed out that Porsches do not always obtain the same results as other cars do.

Keeping that entirely legitimate point in mind, I am still a huge fan of the MX. It is an outstanding tire with reasonably high grip levels and an absolutely predictable breakaway. The 712, from what I understand through the SCCA rumor mill, is not a tire of equal quality to the MX.

The idea that the MX is a "fake Rolex with an Armani suit" is a little silly. A better analogy would be Cole-Haan shoes; a generally acceptable design which is relatively inexpensive due to country of manufacture. And just as one might leave one's Lobb, Church or Allen Edmonds shoes in the closet and wear Cole-Haans when the weather looks bad, so might one choose the Kumho when cost is a priority.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:27 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I agree...

712=

MX=
Old 01-27-2005, 06:27 PM
jstahmann
Advanced

I had the 712s on my 2000 S4. For the price they were a great tire. On the track at DEs they did suprisingly well. They did have a tendency to wear a little irregularly, but that was more a result of the suspension setup on the S4, and was easy to burn off after a little time on the track.

Haven't tried the MX yet.

John
Old 01-28-2005, 10:45 AM
kmatts
Racer

I drove my 964 with the MXs then put my cup wheels on with fresh Yokohama ES100s. both are a great value I think, living in Seattle, I drive in the rain year round, so that is a concern. I think the MXs are a better rain tire, but the Yoke's are a much quieter tire.
just my experience, yours may be different.
Kyle.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Noise........................

I concur, the MX tires are a wee bit loud, BUT, they work well year round, and they seem to last a long time, and they are relitively inexpensive.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Running the MX tires on my BMW, generally happy with them except they are very very NOISY.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:55 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I belive the Kuhmo's are not "N" rated. Is it really that important to use "N" rated tires?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by slaaw
I belive the Kuhmo's are not "N" rated. Is it really that important to use "N" rated tires?
Two approaches to that question:

1) The Porsche loads its tires quite differently due to the rear engine. Tires optimized for a front-engine car might not do as well. Therefore, you should get an N tire.

2) Thirty years ago, Porsche performance stood virtually alone; today, dozens of cars are as fast, or faster, than a 993 so tire technology must have moved on to suit these cars. The Porsche seal of approval shouldn't matter as much. Furthermore, the 993 has a mostly conventional suspension so tires optimized for a torsion-bar car wouldn't be appropriate anyway.

I'll be using the Kumho MX for One Lap, so my money will be where my mouth is.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Love my MX's. May not last as long as Michelins but certainly the best bang for buck by far.

Dunno 'bout noise. I figured that'll be more of an issue if I drove a Caddy. I can hear my RSRs just fine over the MX's
Old 01-28-2005, 04:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think Kumho makes exactly one great street tire - Kumho MX. I've owned 712 and 711 (below avarage and fairly horrible, respectively) and MXs and have driven on some other Kumhos. I highly recommend MX and recommend against any other Kumho.

Kumho's race tires are a different animal. I've owned Vivtoracers and Ecsta V700 and am planning on V710s this year. To lump a recall of race tires into a street tire discussion... make no sense, sorry.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:22 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Kumho tires are competitive against all other brands.

There are people who look down upon Kumho tires, but I have no idea why this is the case - they are one of the leading tire manufacturers in the world.

I have used both MX and 712, and compared to other tires I have used (s02, s03, Pilot Sports, T1-S, Rosso, Yoko sports, and what not), they are excellent for the price.

To use on the street, MX is more than enough. You will be very happy with them.

Quick Reply: Anybody have experience with Kumho tires?