RS Clutch durability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy RS Clutch durability?

I am being told by my mechanic that there is a good possibility that my recently replaced clutch (LWF kit from Gert now with max 6,000 miles) is toast. Having never gone through a clutch before on any car I've ever driven, I am having a hard time believing this.

Is there any benchmark for durability for the RS clutch out there? I did do a number of searches to see if this topic has come up, but I didn't see anything.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had mine for 2 years and over 20k miles without issue. I frequently get stuck in stop and go traffic with lots of clutch use required.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:33 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not speak for what Gert sells with his kit, although I am sure that he uses only top notch components. The kits that I sell using the factory RS components have been on cars with way over 6K miles and no issues. Also, many of my customers put them in for DEs, auto-Xing, time trialing and oh yea racing. 6k sounds WAY low for mileage. As a factory part, you should be getting much more out of it. Is the same place telling you this that did the original install? I am wondering if it was installed correctly would be my first suspicion.

What are the symptoms of being 'toast'? Could there be an issue with the rear main seal getting oil onto the clutch? Just thinking out loud.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:46 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Bob - It is the same shop which did the original install. My thought is that I'd like them to make it right since they are really convienent to my house.

Symptoms - really high engagement, feels really mushy (something which has been there since the conversion), pedal doesn't fully return when hot...

I'm pretty sure that Gert uses factory RS parts.

I had a friend who has a real RS (he's from France) drive it, and he said that there is something wrong as well.

I had the RMS fixed about 1,000 miles ago, and they said at that time that all was fine with the clutch. I was worried that it might have gotten oil soaked.

Needless to say, I'm not particular thrilled with the thought of pulling the motor for a third time in 13 months.

TIA
Doug
Old 08-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my second one at 24k miles. Almost gone again.

But soo nice. Life is not only about shekels
Old 08-17-2004, 05:40 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Approximately 20,000 on mine, and it's a workin' fine.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, mushy pedal and slow return could be a few other problems. Is it slipping? I haven't driven one with an RS clutch yet, but I think most 993's have a high engagement point. How's your slave cylinder? Keeping on top of fresh fluid?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:28 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

My original request was to have them check the slave - they claimed that it was fine. I did the Ray Calvo test to see if I could hear the slave cylinder squeaking, but didn't hear it. I haven't bled the system - probably wrongly assumed that when the clutch was replaced, that the system was flushed. I don't get the impression that it is slipping - ie revs without going anywhere.

Monique - YIKES - 24k/clutch... shekles indeed...
Old 08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My clutch slave squeaks, but works just fine. You do not necessarily flush the system when replacing the clutch. I just reinstalled an engine on Sunday and we did not flush the clutch. Totally separate job. You need to flush your slave and see how things feel. I'd even say burp/bleed it a few times before deciding if it's really bad.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:00 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

May be as simple as throwing in a clutch disc? High pedal is more than likely a worn thin disk. This does sound premature to be worn already...

Please let us know what happens..
Old 08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will let you all know what happens. Right now, can't seem to get them to call me back, so not sure...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:30 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm surprised, I've heard that the LW clutch should be more durable than the dual mass flywheel we get stock.

Skip
Old 08-17-2004, 10:27 PM
rkymtn993
Addict
Rennlist Member

who is the mechanic?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:40 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

UPDATE
The mechanic is one of the Denver Porsche dealers (not the one in Lakewood). After 2 days, their lead mechanic concluded that the clutch itself is fine, that the lack of feel is just how it is - goofy that it is...

I'd told them that this forum had suggested that the slave, kinematic arm & pivots could be contributing to the problem - at which they said hogwash.

I'm now in the hunt for another convienent but this time competent mechanic to assist.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Leave clutch.
Change your mechanic.

Quick Reply: RS Clutch durability?