Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 08:15 AM
CrossKnight
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Crackle noise from the front

Hello to all first
Here my question :
I am intending to buy a '96 993 from a private owner. It has only 44000km on it.
I was driving it , and there is a strange crackle noise (like paper crackle or rain) from the windshield area , or at least from the front somewhere. I could not figure out from where this noise is coming. While idling, there is no noise, but once I start rolling, that noise appears and the sound intensity is same at all RPMS or speeds.
I cannot get that car to a garage to check it, i have to risk to buy it or not... what to do ?

Any idea what that noise could be ?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nature of the beast.

One of the very few common 993 problems.

The fix usually involved replacing the rubber seal around the windshield and also filling it with special lubricant but in most cases the noise comes back.

For some reason I was not able to dig up any of the old discussions on this subject from the the Rennlist search feature. Maybe the old stuff was not indexed.

There was a short discussion on my p-car.com discussion board regarding this issue. Below is the link to the discussion.

<a href="http://robin.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airheads&action=display&num=1018834031" target="_blank">993 windshield squeaks </a>

I did find this brief listing in the Rennlist 993 FAQ section:

3. Ghostly Windows, Creaking & Squeaking

If you come back to your car to find one of the windows about half way down, you have Ferry's Ghost syndrome! You will need to replace the window motor and relay/control under warranty. Dealers may take several goes to get this right. Personally it has happened to me only once and never again. Must have been the particularly strong garlic bread I had for lunch at Bravo's that one time...

Windows and interior bits are prone to squeaking. This may require reseating the front windshield and re-sealing the rear seals. An examination of the rear window seal should reveal if it moves significantly under pressure. If it does, reseal it. Where the interior door panel meets the door opening at the top is also an area worth checking - it is often too loose. Also I've recently noticed a faint and hollow rattling noise, kind of like a beetle sound, particularly when in 3rd. It took me a while to identify the source of the noise but finding it was the shift lever was a relief. Somewhat annoying and I'll have to get this looked at next time the car goes in to the dealer.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:22 AM
CrossKnight
5th Gear

Oh wow , thanks so much for the quick reply, I will check the links ...
Any remedy for this problem that you can suggest ?
Old 04-04-2003, 11:20 AM
jacksonking
Racer

Yes, Don't stress about this. I chose to think of it as the sound of a nice new leather flight jacket. Spray Pedro's Ice Wax around the inside gap of the rubber seal and the "creak" will go away for a few months. It's just a 993 charm and does not indicate anything wrong with the car.

JK

Quick Reply: Crackle noise from the front