Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you let your "kids" take the car for a spin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised about the comments about "it's just a car comment.." I agree to the extent that loaning my car is no big deal if it's get wrecked it can be replaced, what bothers me is the responsibility and liability if anything happens to the person that is driving. As with everything, judgement is required, handing the keys of a high performance car to a 16 year old is reckless -unless he or she has extensive driving experience - bad things are bound to happen the car may end up a coffin.

As for me, I loaned my Porsche to my 22 year old niece same day that I got it - my concern wasn't for the car but her, she is a FAR more precious cargo. However, she drives my most precious cargo (my two daughters) every day in our SUV and I trust her judgement. Both my daughters (3 and 6) have driven my cars ...and I plan to take them to racing school as soon as they can, and teach them how the limits of a car in a controlled envronment not on the street. Maybe start my own racing team...

BTW, I think the US does p*ss poor job of teaching kids how to drive which is further compounded by a early permit age, Europe is far more stringent and that is reflected in the way people drive over there.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:55 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd be more afraid of my kid getting hurt more than anything else. (if i had one)

the temptation to speed is there.

true today as it was when i was 16.

btw: my dad was cool... if i had a 'date' he'd throw me some cash & the keys to the vette... guess he just knew what a 'gas' it would have been if his pops would have done the same for him. coolness.

oh... yeah btw: did i mention it was my job to wax & wash all the cars in our household? four total. i wasn't a bad kid either.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:11 PM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About drivers ed and all.

My office is located across the street from a regional drives education training facility. Every Thursday at around 11am they squirt the track down with water to decrease traction. Using the family vehicles each student appears to go through the paces. About every one in 4 students ends up going round and round.

Very interesting to watch from our 3rd floor vantage point.

Quick Reply: Do you let your "kids" take the car for a spin?