993 Forum 1995-1998

Door Tweeter help wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 12:16 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Tweeter help wanted...

I have substantially increased the power to the speakers in my car, I have changed all the speakers to match, but have left the stock door tweeter connected. I have 2 way focals in the doors. I think the stock tweeter in the passengers door is blown, how do I unclip them from the door panel to disconnect them?

Thanks,
Old 08-14-2004, 02:44 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tweeter housing on the door has little nubs that fit into small slots on the door. You just need to squeeze near the base of the housing to remove the nubs from the slots and it should come loose. Mine are at about the 1:00 - 7:00 axis, so you might try squeezing in that location first. Once the housing pops out, you can easily remove the tweeter and install new ones. Focal speakers are very nice. I just put MB Quarts in mine. It was a close call between those and the Focals, but I got a great deal on the MB Quart Premium series, so I went for it. Are you going to add an amp?
Old 08-15-2004, 12:15 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Thanks, do you think I really need to replace them seeing as the door speakers are 2 way? Incidentally I have Focal Access 165 co-axials in the door (and MB Quart rears), and I have bought and audison 3 channel amp to power the front door speakers and intend a "rod brich" sub woofer upgrade. My head unit pumps out 4x50 Watts (peak) power at present. All comments and advice welcome...
Old 08-15-2004, 04:31 AM
Sputnik
Racer

While preparing to upgrade my car stereo I've suddenly realized it seems many audiophiles consider as a most important part of any car stereo upgrade. The part of installation itself.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:52 PM
winsome
Instructor

No advice but wanted to share my system set up. I am using DLS speakers, 6.5 component two way. I am using Genesis profile four amp, bridged to 120W per channel to drive the front pair and using the deck build in amp to drive the rear wihich are stock. I prefer the sound from the front and using only the rear for rear fill. Another reason for choosing DLS and Genesis is because they are very light weight. Feel better when you realise no unnecessay weight is added to the car. I still have the stock tweeter attached but they are not connected. It will be too bright and the sound will not match with the two way. So don't bother.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:24 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Sounds like you've got some good stuff. Actually, you don't need to replace the tweeters in the door, as you have tweeters in your two-way's already. The focals have a great tweeter, so more tweeters would be redundant and probably give you unbalanced sound on the high end. You can probably just leave the stock tweeter in its housing and just don't connect it. As for the rest, Audison makes a great amp. Efficient, very quiet, and small enough to easily fit under the front seat. If your Audison is a 3 channel amp, it can run the fronts and the subs (I have the Rod Birch style sub enclosures too - great sound). Your head unit can run the MB Quarts in the back. I'd say you have a great system. One thing you might want to do is have your installer "tune" the system by making sure the various speakers are working together to produce a true sound distribution across the frequency range. That way, you can make sure the various crossover points for your speakers are working in concert with no "gaps". Sometimes installers do this with a fancy gadget to measure the sound at the drivers ear location that presents the information on a frequency curve. They then adjust the various speaker outputs to give a smooth curve. In other cases, a good installer can do it with their own ear and the specs that come with each speaker/crossover. They're probably already going to do this, but just in case, you can check with them. Good luck! I wish I could hear your system when it's done!
Old 08-15-2004, 02:30 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, as always I can count on the rennlisters for good help and advice. I am looking forward to finishing the system, but I can't afford to do it at the moment, I'll have to wait until my holidays are out of the way, I suppose it will give me something to look forward to come Autumn.

Quick Reply: Door Tweeter help wanted...