Sponsored by:

Mods for 1996 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 05:14 PM
mnhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods for 1996 C4S

I've been following this forum for a few months and I'm really impressed with the quality of the members.

I just bought a 1996 C4S. Does anyone have an opinion on what mods are considered "must do" and will total under $5k? I will primarily drive the car on weekends and would like a bit more horsepower. I don't plan to track the car. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark in VA
Old 08-12-2004, 06:10 PM
lowblow
Racer

Mark-

I think everyone will ask for more info. Is the car completely stock with no mods?. If so, I think the 1st mod would be to reduce the "SUV" ride height with an upgarded suspension package. Next mod IMHO would be exhaust. As far as additional H.P, that's a tough one. These cars are very well engineered. Achieving more power will come with a high price tag.

Just my 2 cents worth

mike
Old 08-12-2004, 06:45 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark
I know you said you don't plan to track your car, but if you have no prior 911 track experience, I strongly suggest you invest in just 1 PCA DE weekend. It will increase the car's performance more than any mod & at a fraction of the cost. It will also make you a safer, more confident driver. Of course, that was my plan, but I couldn't stop at just 1 weekend.

On the "in no particular order" mod list (each can be done for less than $5k):
1. Suspension upgrade if you want better handling.
2. G64/21 transmission & LWF w/RS clutch if you want better acceleration & a more responsive throttle.
3. Good performance tires - if those on the car are not.
4. Reprogrammed DME - you'll need a '97+ DME first.

I can't think of anything else that isn't primarily a look good/feel good mod other than you and/or the car can lose weight which is better than added HP.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:52 PM
mnhead
Intermediate

Default C4S

Mike:

Thanks for the response. The car is stock. Do you have any specific suggestions regarding the suspension? I'd be willing to spend $2k to $3k on a suspension upgrade and another $2k to $3k on the engine.

I noticed that you have a B&B exhaust. Do you like it and would you recommend it or another exhaust? What does SUV mean? Thanks

Mark in VA
Old 08-12-2004, 07:01 PM
mnhead
Intermediate

Dan:

I had a 1987 911 in the late 80's and early 90's. I agree about the DE. I've been to a couple of BMW m5 DE and I'll definitely look for a Porsche DE in my area. Is that 96 DME NOT upgradable and do you have any specific recommendations on the suspension and exhaust? Thanks

Mark in VA
Old 08-12-2004, 08:27 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mnhead
Mike:

Thanks for the response. The car is stock. Do you have any specific suggestions regarding the suspension? I'd be willing to spend $2k to $3k on a suspension upgrade and another $2k to $3k on the engine.

I noticed that you have a B&B exhaust. Do you like it and would you recommend it or another exhaust? What does SUV mean? Thanks

Mark in VA
Do a search on RoW M030(Rest of World) Springs and Bilstein HD's. Great setup for street driving. Can be bought at www.carnewal.com (Gert is the man !!) Parts/Install/Alignments will be in the $2k range give or take.

Exhaust=RSR Mufflers...Check out www.p-car.com for more info here.

SUV....just like is sounds man...(sport utility vehicle) ride height... that is !!!

Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:37 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan:

Is that 96 DME NOT upgradable ?

Mark in VA
Dan is correct, the '96 cannot be chipped unless you get a 97-98 ECU and have it reprogrammed.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Cup holder,turbo tail,Sducts with lights,scrape bar,super cup wheels,chip, RSR mufflers(first on list)
upgrade speakers,painted crests,drill out air box lid,RS splitter .....
Old 08-12-2004, 10:43 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Cup holder,turbo tail,Sducts with lights,scrape bar,super cup wheels,chip, RSR mufflers(first on list)
upgrade speakers,painted crests,drill out air box lid,RS splitter .....
First on the list is certainly lowered, upgraded suspension.

Cup holder? Upgrade speakers? Goes well with, ouch, chrome wheels..

RS splitters: Never seen them on a C4S nose. Will they even fit?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

If you go to Bilstein PS9s, you will spend at least $2,500. You'll spend another $1,200 for 993RS sway bars..add it about $1,000 for install to include corner balance and alignment...we have blown through your $5,000...almost. Take the change and get a set of Robin Sun's RSR mufflers, about $450 + $100 to put them in. Well that takes care of the $5,000.

Next, save up for a set of track wheels....$2,000 and a set of tires, $800 and take the car to the track. You then discover that the car has so much potential you won't worry about adding extra HP.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:12 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, I don't know how you made it this far without....."Congrats on the new car" ," Welcome to the board" and "WHERE'S THE PICS?" Enjoy you car!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:58 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 534 Posts

1) Become a PCA and Rennlist Member
2) A reasonably priced suspension alternative are Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks - worked for me.
3) Try the RSR exhaust (I have the Fabspeed).
4) Forget about trying to get additional hp - too expensive for what you get - or get a TT.
5) Try some DE events. It's a very nice and cheap way to get to know your car better.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
lowblow
Racer

Mark-

Everyone on this board seems to love the RSR exhaust. My car came with a B&B setup which I really like. The car has a great sound without too much resonance.

I think the RSR setup is similar and Robin, (the guy who makes them), is a Rennlist sponsor.

Definitely become a Rennlist member. For $17/ year it's the best investment you can make!

mike
Old 08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
mnhead
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice everybody. I am joining Rennlist today.

Mike, it just so happens that I just bought a 96 C4S arena Red/Cashmere with the Aero kit. I not a big fan of resonance, however, I do like the sound of power. Do you think that the B&B fits this description?

Has anyone found it necessary to install a short shift kit and if so, what brands are recommended?Thanks again everybody and any and all comments are appreciated.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice everybody. I am joining Rennlist today.

Mike, it just so happens that I just bought a 96 C4S arena Red/Cashmere with the Aero kit. I not a big fan of resonance, however, I do like the sound of power. Do you think that the B&B fits this description?

Has anyone found it necessary to install a short shift kit and if so, what brands are recommended?Thanks again everybody and any and all comments are appreciated.
We want PICS!!

Quick Reply: Mods for 1996 C4S