I'll send pics next week.

Mark
Old 08-13-2004, 01:43 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mnhead
Thanks for the advice everybody. I am joining Rennlist today.

Has anyone found it necessary to install a short shift kit and if so, what brands are recommended?Thanks again everybody and any and all comments are appreciated.
Mark...

I looked at a short shift kit and decided against it. Evidently, the kit requires modifications to the underside of the car as the arm/shaft extrudes further than normal fitment allows. I do not believe this is an issue with the C2's or C2S'

Congrats on the car and the membership.......!!! Arena Red/Cashmere is an awesome combination.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:47 PM
mnhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keith:

Your C4S looks awesome. I have a couple of questions about your mods. What are motorsounds, Catz-Hid's, Hollow Spoke Twists? Thanks in advance. Mark in Reston, VA
Old 08-13-2004, 01:58 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mnhead
Keith:

Your C4S looks awesome. I have a couple of questions about your mods. What are motorsounds, Catz-Hid's, Hollow Spoke Twists? Thanks in advance. Mark in Reston, VA
Motorsound=Factory airbox with drilled holes in the rear of the box. The opening of the airbox has a chromed(plastic) inlet. Nice sound at wide open throttle around 5k on the tach. It won't give any more hp....but the sound in the cockpit kicks ***.

Catz-HID's= Catz is a/was? a manufacturer of XENON lights, similiar to the factory Litronic lights. Awesome bright lights with a bit of purple/blue tint. These are not bogus bulbs....it's a complete kit. Not sure if Catz is manufacturing them anymore.

Hollow Spoke Twists= The 993 Turbo came with rims that had hollow spokes. Thus reducing weight. I swapped out my solid spoke rims for the Turbo's. An expensive mod that I would not justify compared to the cost. The car feels a bit nimbler and mildly quicker in and out of traffic....but not worth the $1400 bones I dropped on them and another $5bills for refinishing them ....they do look damn good though.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:26 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations on your purchase. You should not be disappointed. As far as the upgrades, I think that DE's would come first, followed closely by suspension upgrades, followed by remapped chip, then light weight flywheel, then g50/21 tranny (or some other close ratio gearing package). From an aesthetic/ sound perspective there are a number of different splitter/tail combos for a more aggressive look; you can upgrade to the RSRs for a better sound. Robin is a great guy and will provide great service for a HIGH QUALITY product at a wonderful price.
One area where I would differentiate in my opinion from my fellow rennlisters is that the RSR's are the only option for a motor sound package. Though someone cannot go wrong with the RSRs, I have the Fabspeeds and am extremely happy with them. It all depends on how much sound you are looking to produce.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:28 PM
mnhead
Intermediate

Alex:

How do your Fabspeeds sound and overall, how loud are they? Thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Mark
I know you said you don't plan to track your car, but if you have no prior 911 track experience, I strongly suggest you invest in just 1 PCA DE weekend. It will increase the car's performance more than any mod & at a fraction of the cost. It will also make you a safer, more confident driver. Of course, that was my plan, but I couldn't stop at just 1 weekend.

On the "in no particular order" mod list (each can be done for less than $5k):
1. Suspension upgrade if you want better handling.
2. G64/21 transmission & LWF w/RS clutch if you want better acceleration & a more responsive throttle.
3. Good performance tires - if those on the car are not.
4. Reprogrammed DME - you'll need a '97+ DME first.

I can't think of anything else that isn't primarily a look good/feel good mod other than you and/or the car can lose weight which is better than added HP.

Dan,

Can #2 get done for under 5k? I thought the G64/21 was around 8k by itself??

If it can get done under 5k...I am there!
Old 08-13-2004, 04:35 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rolo
Haven't priced a used G64/21, but my G50/21 & LWF/RS clutch conversion w/professional labor netted out to under $4k after selling my G50/20. I'm guessing a used G64/21 less the sale of the stock box wouldn't be too far off. As always, my guess could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Mods for 1996 C4S