Sponsored by:

Anyone with hardwired K-40?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:39 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone with hardwired K-40?

My car came with a hardwired K-40 radar detector. This unit is hyper sensitive. The unit continuously falses even at the least sensitive setting.

I've read alot of posts, saying good things about the Valentine units. Can I easily replace the K-40 with another unit since its already wired. Are the connection points similar?, Are the sensors compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 08-11-2004, 10:50 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The Valentine One is a standalone detector. It draws its power via a telephone cable which plugs either into a receptacle plugged into the cigar lighter or wired somewhere near the dashboard. You can't use the K40 to power a Valentine One, and the Valentine One has its own antennas onboard.

The best thing to do is remove the K40 completely. I've had a couple of 911s that came with them (a 97 C2 and a 99 C2 cab) and in both cases found them inferior to my older Valentine One.

There is typically an antenna somewhere in the front grill, sometimes one in the rear, and usually a control unit somewhere around the dash that's hardwired into the fuse box or tapped off some other power source. It should be fairly easy to find and remove. If it's truly a "stealth" install, as it was on my 99 C2 cab, where the alert lights were wired to the dash "!" lights and a simple power/volume **** installed in the center console, it's probably best to just leave it off and use a Valentine One.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 08-11-2004, 11:07 PM
lowblow
Racer

Vic-

Not exactly what I wanted to hear but I kinda expected that may be the case.

This may be an extremely stupid question but I have a round disc about the size of a quarter recessed into the front bumper. It looks as if it was added because it appears to have been painted over to match the car color. Is this the receiver? or something everyone has?.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:25 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowblow
This may be an extremely stupid question but I have a round disc about the size of a quarter recessed into the front bumper. It looks as if it was added because it appears to have been painted over to match the car color. Is this the receiver? or something everyone has?.
It's the cover for the threaded hole into which the tow ring in your tool kits is screwed in case you need a front tow point to pull you out of the weeds if you lift too much in a turn (or otherwise need a tow).
Old 08-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lowblow, the front receiver for tmy K40 is mounted just behind the air dam, which is a little below the front bumper. Rear is mounted on top of my V-ram intake. I hate my K40. I have the same problems you described. I hope Valentine one day makes a unit we can just plug in over our hardwired K40's.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:29 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

had a k40 - junk IMO. Valentine is just awesome. Can't say a bad thing about it. The ads are right - once you get used to the arrows you'll never go back to another detector.

Quick Reply: Anyone with hardwired K-40?