993 Forum 1995-1998

PSS-9, camber plate question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:26 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts
Post PSS-9, camber plate question

This has probably been beaten to death but, I'm installing PSS-9s on my Cab. One source says I need monoball camber plates installed in rear, and another source says no camber plates needed. Car will only see street use.

What do the folks who have them installed say?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 713 Likes on 324 Posts
You dont need the camber plates. What you need is Steve's rear hats. Steve, how much are your rear hats? installed?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't had them installed personally, but I've been following all the pss-9 threads.

I'd probably recommend getting the monoball camber plates over the Weiner/Morton hats. One rennlister pointed out that to adjust the rear drop link mounting point, it's really easy with the mono ball setup becuase you can just rotate the shock. You can't do this with the stock or Weiner/Morton hats and it requires that you remove and replace the shock.

Just another thing to think about.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Just a point of clarification. The rear monoball strut mounts aren't camber plates as they have no adjustments. I think the Morton/Weiner hats are around $300 and monoball strut mounts are about the same.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

All things equal, price wise, which would be better suited for street only then?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:13 PM
titleist1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had mine installed 1 month ago, if just for street i would go with the W/M hats, i did and it works well.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>Just a point of clarification. The rear monoball strut mounts aren't camber plates as they have no adjustments. I think the Morton/Weiner hats are around $300 and monoball strut mounts are about the same.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Good point. Thanks.. I thought they were the same.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:38 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Monoball_camberplate" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Monoball_camberplate</a>

Monoball top
camber plate bottom
The morton/weiner hats are $350.00, just received a quote from Steve.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:57 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
The fronts are monoball/camber plates (black) in your pics. The rears are the aluminum one piece in your pic without camber plates. Also RS type of monoballs without the camber plates for front as well are available and suitable for this. I say go with the monoballs to avoid the problems with the PSS-9, sway links etc. Everyone is saying hard this, hard that for street use, dont forget that the 993 is a multi link suspension and has enough rubber bushings as it is.
I have the mono/camber plates as in your pics with midly stiff RSR socks and springs and while it is stiff it is not harsh.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:52 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I will receive my PSS-9 kit next week...(hopefully) I am going through the same debate myself- monoballs all the way around or just the rear Weiner hats.

Anyone else out there have monoballs with PSS-9's on the street as a daily driver?

Danny,
Any idea what the cost is for a monos front and rear? ...as well as a good source?

What kind of driving do you do? Mostly track, some street? I drive my 95 993 daily and we have horrible roads, but the 993 has such a spongy suspension and steering. My 87 cab is tighter with Bilstein HD's and turbo tie-rods.

Thanks for the input.

Best regards,
Tom F
Old 05-07-2003, 08:26 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
In the kit, you'll see a separate note says basically, Rear(monoball type)camper plates are recommended and necessary for proper performance. The front is optional.

According to a tech atBilstein, they are working on a retrofit part and should be available in a few weeks which also eliminate the need for rear camber plates.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Tom Trew
Instructor

I am currently running the PSS-9's with monoball upper mounts. The car is driven both on the street as well as about 25 track days per year. I ran the PSS-9's all of last year with the stock upper mounts, and installed the monoball's this past winter.

Here is what I notice:
- The PSS-9's with monoballs, and set on 9, are not much more harsh than say setting them on 4 or 5 with the stock mounts. The exception to that would be sharp transitions like pot holes, train tracks, etc. The lack of rubber isolation makes them particularly abrupt in those cases.

- I don't notice any increase in road noise transmitted through the suspension with the monoballs. I did make gaskets out of thin rubber to place between the upper mounts and the body. The fronts stock shocks have gaskets from the factory, the rears do not. Removing the old gaskets without destroying them is not easy.

- The car is considerably more responsive with the monoballs than with the stock rubber mounts. Turn in is much sharper, and the feedback is more direct. The ability to increase front camber with the camber plates is a big advantage on the track as well.

- I did have to remove some metal from the front shock towers to allow full camber adjustment. The shock towers restrict the movement of the camber plates, and limit you to at most 1 degree of additional camber without this.

Bottom line: If you track the car heavily, the monoballs are worthwhile and will not completely ruin the car for the street. If you do not track the car heavily, why would you even think about doing this? If you live in the land of potholes, think twice before doing this to your street car.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:31 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Tom Trew,

Thanks for your input. After discussions with several people, that the monoballs are not a good idea for the street except in areas with really good roads, and there only for a die-hard enthusiast.

Another Rennlister has contacted me regarding some "hats" that he has developed at a fraction of the cost (half the cost of others) out of aircraft-grade aluminum. I am going to check them out next week and will keep you posted.

It continues to amaze me how valuable and useful this board is to Porsche enthusiasts!

Thanks all!
Old 05-08-2003, 03:33 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Same member that contacted Tom F, also contacted me. This definitely sounds like the practical way to proceed for my "street only" car.

This board is a tremendous source of valuable feedback.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:18 PM
Pete K
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'm going to throw a big wrench into all of this.

I have a friend at a local Audi Tuning shop that was looking into prices for shocks and sway bars for me and he spoke with a another shop that specializes in Porsche. (I won't name it as I have not spoken with them yet)They do not recomend the PSS9 set up at all with the 993, they say there is a snap oversteer issue at the limit. Has anyone heard or experianced this?

They recomend the H&R set up.

I wonder why the hat guy has not contacted me?

Thanks guys,
Pete

Quick Reply: PSS-9, camber plate question