Sponsored by:

Stereo upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 01:24 AM
993Racer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

I have the Nakamichi in dash MB75 6 disc unit. I love the sound but after 1 year it sems to have issues with the CD's.

Just a warning.
dave
Old 05-10-2003, 04:03 PM
S3
Instructor

Will the Alpine CDA-7998R head unit fit in the 993? There are buttons for the fog lights etc above the headunit. The Alpine unit will provide a 30% bigger display, but seems to extend upwards when open.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:58 PM
officemanager
Advanced

With head bowed to Dr Z, Brax and Dynaudio which may in fact equal what I’ve got and possibly without a sub surpass it if you use the big Dyn woofers... I have a C4 cab, the 3way Focals, the Alpine 7998 Alpine MP3/CD changer and a Butler tube [I also have Focal sub built in a custom fiberglass/leather wrapped enclosure that quick releases off the back driver side seat and goes into the trunk - which is a whole other story]. But here in my opinion is the deal:

I'll do another whole post later with 20 pix but… THE SHORT - scrap the HiFi panels there's nothing in there but trouble... get custom ones made. People who judge cars for a living are all commenting to me that the install of this system as it is may have the best imaging and depth of any small car they've heard not just any Porsche, any car. I have 30 years of very high end home audio under my belt and the sound of this system rivals the imaging transparency and dynamics of my Magnapans bi-amped with a Roland 5 and Levenson 23. I have a good Capacitor and excellent wires throughout which you also want. BUT DO THE PANELS AND THE 3 WAYs... I will forward pix of the sub and the hydraulic damped amp rack in my trunk if you are interested and the installers I used [no relation] were Don and Ian at AKA Kustum here in NY aka630@aol.com who are, in my humble opinion [and a couple of national mags] as good as it gets and they will tell you the same thing... PS They've also worked out a sub configuration for the coupes that doesn't eat up the foot wells and which they did in my coupe. I keep meaning to talk them about making bolt on panels with the 3 way drivers installed for Rennlist members... But I'm too busy driving my car a mile out of my way every time I go anywhere just to listen to it...

Chris Rolf
Old 05-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris,
When you post your pictures (soon please) can you also send me a PM with the contact info for AKA Kustom?
Thanks much.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:55 PM
DrZ
Racer

Chris I would also like to see how your custom door panel looks. I decided on putting the 8" woofer behind the stock Hi-fi grill. Mounting depth of the Dyn 170 is only 78mm. It actually goes down to 35hz rather than 40hz which I had mentioned. If I add a SW later I would definately go with your approach. Since AKA Kustom already has made the mold perhaps we can get a group buy going?
Old 05-10-2003, 07:36 PM
officemanager
Advanced

I'm going to start a new post just with the photos and AKA's contact info labled FOCAL 3way Install... Email me if you need to for questions...
Old 05-10-2003, 09:32 PM
officemanager
Advanced

Let me ammend that the photo's are in posts
FOCAL 3way Install #1
FOCAL 3way Install #2
FOCAL 3way Install #3
and AKA Kustom's Info

Don Whitmire
aka630@aol.com
914 478-8600
Old 05-11-2003, 02:51 AM
DrZ
Racer

If anyone is interested, I found a reliable eBay seller who got me the Dyn 360 3-way system, factory sealed box for $795 delivered. PM me for more info. Finding rare ultra hi-end stuff like the Brax and Nak CD700 took a lot of time and luck.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:59 PM
officemanager
Advanced

Hats off to DrZ again for doing his homewerk!!!

PAY ATTENTION TO THE BRAX/DYN COMBO...
THE TUBE/FOCAL I THINK HAS SOME SERIOUS COMPETITION THERE...

ONLY FOCAL/BUTLER PLUS... YOU CAN GET A BUTLER FOR $400-800 on EBAY... NOT SO FOR THAT ADMITTEDLY LOVELY BRAX
Old 05-11-2003, 04:59 PM
officemanager
Advanced

Hats off to DrZ again for doing his homewerk!!!

PAY ATTENTION TO THE BRAX/DYN COMBO...
THE TUBE/FOCAL I THINK HAS SOME SERIOUS COMPETITION THERE...

ONLY FOCAL/BUTLER PLUS... YOU CAN GET A BUTLER FOR $400-800 on EBAY... NOT SO FOR THAT ADMITTEDLY LOVELY BRAX
Old 05-11-2003, 06:29 PM
DrZ
Racer

Think of it as an exquisite blend of the "cold" accuracy of the precision German solid state amp with the "soft" uncolored musicality of the Danish drivers. I consider the Butler/Focal combination as equal, just in the converse.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:00 PM
Moose
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Officemanager, I don't see your photo links as links on my view. IS there something I'm doing wrong? I would love to see the pictures.....

Steve
Old 05-12-2003, 03:39 PM
AKA
AutoX

Our contact info at AKA KUSTOM is/

(914)478-8600/phone
(914)478-8688/fax
aka630@aol.com
Old 05-18-2003, 09:47 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DR Z,

Just curious what you're planning on doing with the Dyn tweeter? It's larger than the factory tweeter and I haven't been able to find any pods to mount it in the original location.
Are you just going to expand the hole a bit and flush mount?
Thanks.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:57 PM
DrZ
Racer

Rick, with a three way system you must pair the tweeter with the mid-range. The positioning of the larger woofer is of less importance(the door in my case) because the lower freqs are less directional, If you read back through some of my previous posts I emphasized sound quality, imaging, stealth (stock) appearance, reversibility and lastly cost as my primary goals. The kick panel location for the two smaller drivers gives the best SQ and imaging in a 993. Again with Dynaudio you can use this premium speaker system to satisfy the above objectives. The "8 woofer in the door( goes down to 35HZ) and the mid range and tweeter in the kicks. They are self enclosed and therefore have the shallowest mounting depth of any hi-end car audio speaker. I should emphasize that this approach is not a DIY or even a project you would take to an ordinary installer. Although I supplied the extra kick panel, MDF fabrication and upholstering will be required to obtain a quality stealth appearance. The woofer needs to be mounted expertly to achieve the tight rattle free base that the driver is capable of delivering. Wiring is often overlooked and a incompetent shoddy job can be hidden in an otherwise "pretty" installation. Tuning is also a labor intensive job that requires both equipment and expertise somewhat analogous to a corner alignment. So if you go this route expect to do a lot of homework, spend some serious dollars even if you find the electronics discounted like I did. I later found out that installers get pissed that you didn't buy retail from them and try to make it back with the labor. If I had to start over I would buy everything from the installer and work on a fixed price deal. This way you will get better service or at least attitude, and have a factory warranty. Also, next time when you use the same shop to transfer your system to another car they may give you a break.

My car is currently in the shop so I will report how this all turns out in about a week. One change I made was to forget about the Nakamichi CD700 headunit. Had to return two of them because of broken cd transports. Very few enthusiasts presently have much good to say about this company. I would steer clear. I am now going with a McIntosh mx406. The retro look with the anolog ***** and aluminum accents will also look good in my Silver/grey Cab.

Feel free to contact me If I can be of any help

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade options