Sponsored by:

Thank you Rod Birch (Awesome Subs) & New Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 01:37 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you Rod Birch (Awesome Subs) & New Sound System

Well, I had my new (to me) '95 Cab for all of one day when I realized something had to be done on the sound system. I didn't have the Hi-Fi option, just components (Nokia) in the doors and the Nokia 4" coaxials in the back. I had the Becker CDR 210 (for sale now) for a deck. Any of you who had/have this set up know that the limit on the volume isn't very high....

So, after joining Rennlist and a few days in Google land, I found Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations in California (I live in Florida). Rod's website is great and he was very helpful on the phone (numerous times). After a lot of research and a lot of long distance calls to Rod, here's my newly installed system:

1 set of custom Subwoofer enclosures by Rod with JL Audio 8W3's
1 set of 6.5" MB Quart Reference Series Components in the doors
1 set of FOCAL 4" coaxials (model 100CA) in the rear (easy replacement)
1 Audison SRX Series 5 channel amp (mounted under passenger seat)
1 Alpine CDR 9820XM (built in XM tuner!)

Due to the lack of enough audio outputs on the Alpine deck, I had a subwoofer control **** installed in the blank hole between the lighter and the fog light switch just above the radio. Great custom look and great feature.

I can't say enough about the custom subwoofer enclosures! The carpet matches perfectly, the fit is excellent, there is no lost leg room (in the front seat) and the bass hits you perfectly. The overall system is finally worthy of the car. It was worth every penny. No speed too high with the top down for the sound system. Clear, clear, clear (MB Quarts and FOCALs are incredible) and lots of bass available when you want/need it.

Overall it's a great custom install. The only way you can tell something was done is to look at the grills on the speakers...oh, and by turning up the volume! I've taken a lot of pictures so if you'd like to see them just e-mail me (peter@communityrp.com) and I'll send them to you.

Last edited by PedroNole; 08-08-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:04 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I am going through the same frustration, should I even dare ask the cost?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:46 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Equipment, cables, install, yada yada, equals +/- $2,500. You could save money by using lower end subwoofers (but definitely get Rod's set up) like the JL Audio 8w0s instead of the 8w3s. You could also buy something a little below the MB Quart's for the doors but don't go too cheap. The FOCALs are pretty cheap. The deck came from Crutchfield. You could probably save some money on that but you'd have to buy a separate XM setup.

I just moved down to S Florida a couple of years ago from Jax. If you are down here anytime soon, e-mail me and I'll give you a demo.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:27 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I appreciate it. I had a 1998 Cab sometime ago and sold it. It had the Hi/Fi stereo. I thought the sound was good. I had a chance to buy another 98 with 5K miles a few weeks ago and bought it, although it had the crappy stereo. The guy i bought it from said, it's a Porsche, you don't need to listen to the radio.... I will call Rod next week.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:03 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Here's a picture of the subs with the seats all the way forward to show the amp underneath the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Thank you Rod Birch (Awesome Subs) & New Sound System