Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Performance differences between hollow spoke and non-hollow spoke...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 10:12 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I removed my 18" hollow spoke factory wheels and street tires and installed Hoosier tires with FM 10 Fiske's. The weight differance just by handling the sets while changing them seemed huge. I did this change during a track event (DE). Keeping in mind that I am a very new DE driver even I experienced A significant advantage in the feel of the car entering corners. My instructors starting getting their skin color back. I raced bicycles for years and learned the benefits of keeping the wheel/tire weight down early on. I think it may have a small benefit in acceleration as well. Possible?
Bill Walczak
993 DE Club Sport (rare)
Old 08-02-2001, 12:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by TB993tt:
<STRONG>In Paul Frere's book "Porsche 911 Story" he states on page 196 "The hollow spokes reduced the wheel's weight by 30% to 3.2kg (7lb) in the case of the 8J 18 wheel" this is considerably less than your figure</STRONG>
He probably meant 7 lbs less than an otherwise non hollow spoke wheel. A 7 lb wheel wouldn't last a mile when driven on the street. It would be too soft and bend too easily.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:11 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by bill walczak:
<STRONG>I removed my 18" hollow spoke factory wheels and street tires and installed Hoosier tires with FM 10 Fiske's. The weight differance just by handling the sets while changing them seemed huge.</STRONG>
Bear in mind that Hoosier tires are considerably lighter than any steel-belted street tire. A fair comparison can only be made by weighing two different wheels of the same size without tires or with identical tires.

Quick Reply: Performance differences between hollow spoke and non-hollow spoke...