Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Travelling again - Englishman in CT!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking OT: Travelling again - Englishman in CT!!

Shld be on my way to CT for work soon (min 2 months) - if there are any drives going on where I can get a ride; I'd be most grateful!!!

Damn I'm gonna miss my 911 again...

Surj
Old 08-03-2004, 09:47 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in CT?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

the client is based in Rowayton.

Will probably live somewhere close - any suggestions where I should be looking for what they call 'corporate housing'??

Occassional trips to the office (nr Grand Central NY) also...

Surj
Old 08-03-2004, 11:06 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

You are more then welcome in NH - should you have some spare time!!! I've been known to let others drive my 993 As well - I don't know how long you will be over here - but, there is a track event and a 997 unveiling for Rennlisters coming up towards the latter half of August (more later ..??!!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:33 AM
sleddog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should try to get up to the Boston area on Sept. 11th for the annual porschefest put on by the northeast region of PCA. It is a lawn event at the museum of transportatiopn and you will see a lot of Nice Porsches as well as some classic older vehicles.

here is a link:

http://mot.org/Events/lawn.html
Old 08-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Housing will depend on your budget. Darien, Westport and New Canaan are nice, high-end New England towns with very little in the way of big apartment complexes. Upside is nice feel of small town. Westport and Darien are on the main train line into Grand Central, thus more trains into/out of NYC. If you aren't planning to be in NYC very often then it may not matter much. New Canaan is on a side spur. Still lots of trains, just not as many as other towns. Westport is the biggest of the three I've listed. There are a few Inns in New Canaan that may rent month to month. The one I can think of is called the Roger Sherman Inn. Old, very large house in a small rustic town. You may see David Letterman walking around here as he has a house in town. Thre are a few more. I think New Canaan has a web site.

Then there is Greenwich which is closer to NYC and a little bit further away from Rowayton. Greenwich has two halves. One half is off of the Post Road which is a main thoroughfare that runs up and down the East Coast. This area is a business district where you may be able to find some corporate housing. The othe half is high-end "country" living for ex-NYCers. Best be for these towns would be to check with local brokers. They should know about short term housing. If you can swing it, the Greenwich Hyatt is not a bad choice.

Other option is Stamford. Much bigger city (by CT standards) with lots of big apartments and condo complexes. I'm sure you can find something here. Stamford also has benefit of being a major train stop (same line as Darien and Westport). Downside is Stamford is a city (again, by CT standards). In terms of nightlife, would rank Stamford, Westport, Darien, New Canaan. Realize though that most of CT rolls up its sidewalks very early in the PM.

Sorry so long but hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Wow!! cheers Guys!!

Will be there with the family so not too keen on Big City living...

John D : I will definitely make that trip - you can count on it! Although I wont be there until late Sept.

Sleddog - Sep 11 is still a somber date for me (ex Cantor employee)but I think I'll still be in the UK then.

Father of 3: Thanks for all the info - just what I needed!! Darian and Westport are looking likely - will see if there's any 'housing' to be found there.

kind regards and thanks again (is this place great or what??!)

Surj
Old 08-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are travelling with your family, I would highly recommend New Canaan, or Westport. New Canaan has a very small, high end, walkable main street (VERY SMALL) with a bookstore, restaurants, a few clothing stores, video store, ice cream store, LOTS of real estate brokers, and starbucks right next to the train station. What more could you need? Classic New England town with a main green, 18th century churches surrounding, very, very high end homes. Gigantic park called Waveny Park where family can play. I am biased as I lived (rented to be honest) in New Canaan for four years.

Westport is a bit bigger as the post road runs through it. Second favorite walking street for my Wife. Darien has no real town center. Westport and Darien are both on the coast, New Canaan is inland. Just an interesting factoid. Rumor is that Darien, CT was the inspiration for the original Stepford Wives movie.

These towns are one of the prime family towns for hard working ex-NYCers. A good chunk of these towns commute to NYC on a daily basis. My Wife worked in Mid-Town Manhattan and commuted every day from New Canaan.

Someone on this board, I can't remember who, actually lives in Rowayton.

When are you going to be there? You can't beat that area in the fall time. Oh yeah, another pitch for New Canaan. On Halloween (Oct. 31), the town has a parade down main street for all the little kiddies in their costumes. It really is THAT kind of town.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, the family will be predominantly based in BlackHawk, CA while I'll be in CT with them coming over for a while from SF. I'll certainly take a look at these towns to see what I can get in terms of housing. Hoping to delay the trip over until late Sept (I need more time driving my 993 before I leave her again!!!)

regards

Surj

Quick Reply: OT: Travelling again - Englishman in CT!!