Carrera S or C4S That is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
You may be able to find a C2S with Big Reds , as that was an option on the RWD widebody.
I THINK the 18inch tire/rim setup was also an option on the C2S...whereas I know it came standard on the C4S.
Keith, Big Reds were not a factory option on any car. they were only standard on the Turbo and Carrera 4S. If you see a Carrera S with Big Reds, they must have been added by the owner.

As to the wheels, the Carrera 4S 18's were solid spoke whereas the optional 18's on the Carrera S were hollow spoke. That's, of course, the way the factory installed them.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:50 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woodcock
As a former 2S owner, can gladly confirm that is an impressively definitve link!

Re the above: the suspension (and chassis) on both 2S and 4S is identical. And Big Reds were not a factory option on the 2S, but you can of course get aftermarket OEM's fitted. Porsche Exclusive did that, too.

Re Motorsound: the Motorsound package was not available in Europe from 1997 on, so therefore not on any 2S's. Not sure what the specs were in the US, however.

I loved my 2S - great car to drive, both everyday and track days. Looks awesome. And is increasingly rare, and thus desirable. I personally don't think you will notice too much of a difference in wet/slippy etc. conditions. My feeling is it's a myth that the AWD is genuinely noticeably better there. Bigger difference on the track, though.

So as many have said, try both and check which driving feel you prefer.

Have fun test-driving!

woodcock
I have a 98 C2S with motorsound, blacks not big reds. I have had no ploblems in the rain (with one exception, and that was my rookie mistake!) and even snow, albeit driving slowly. Never really found that I needed AWD, except perhaps in snow.. I also have the 18s, I believe they were standard in my car...
Old 07-30-2004, 02:51 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viken, seems strange that you could do almost anything you wanted if you ordered your car - why not big reds? Would that fall under some x option thing? My S has the optional hollow spoke (technology) wheels, and was'nt there an option for the turbo look (solid spoke) - why then, with everything else turbo on the C4S did they put solid spokes?
Old 07-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GratefulJED
Viken, seems strange that you could do almost anything you wanted if you ordered your car - why not big reds? Would that fall under some x option thing? My S has the optional hollow spoke (technology) wheels, and was'nt there an option for the turbo look (solid spoke) - why then, with everything else turbo on the C4S did they put solid spokes?
John, for the North American market, Porsche would only do whatever was on the order guides. Big Reds were not on the Carrera S order guides. As to the Carrera 4S, I don't know why they decided to give us the solid spokes. They did the same with the 996 Carrera 4S. Many things Porsche does makes little or no sense.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:33 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm...well, when I order the 997 S cab, NA, X71 super deviated wide butt I'm gonna sure as hect get the big reds, North America or not!!
Old 07-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmmm...well, when I order the 997 S cab, NA, X71 super deviated wide butt I'm gonna sure as hect get the big reds, North America or not!!
You're in luck. The 997 Carrera S comes standard with the Big Reds. I guess you don't even need to go to Stuttgart now, do you?
Old 07-30-2004, 04:10 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Viken, If I can go to Stuttgart, grab a car off that line and run it over to Mr. Ruf's shop, drive it around for five weeks then have it delivered here, that is what I'm gonna do! In fact, I have emailed them about the lead time involved in doing that. They have not responded.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Viken, If I can go to Stuttgart, grab a car off that line and run it over to Mr. Ruf's shop, drive it around for five weeks then have it delivered here, that is what I'm gonna do! In fact, I have emailed them about the lead time involved in doing that. They have not responded.
Ah, then you could have RUF's Big Blues...
Old 07-30-2004, 05:07 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Unless you really need the AWD option, it may be more economical to go with ABD/LSD. I have it on my car and feel that they provide enough "slip" control.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, when I was shopping, I would have taken either model. I really like the extra interior trim items on the C2S, but overall they are not that important. Buy whichever good car you find first that has the right color, options, and price. After driving your '87, you will really enjoy this model.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:07 PM
SteveL1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
I really like the extra interior trim items on the C2S, but overall they are not that important.
I did not know there were any "extra" interior trim items standard on the C2S model! Can someone enlighten me?????
Old 07-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SteveL1
I did not know there were any "extra" interior trim items standard on the C2S model! Can someone enlighten me?????
Not extra items. Just some trim pieces with different material or finish.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:39 PM
jz993
Racer

Go for a 2 S...mine! See Rennlist Classifiieds.
Shameless self-promotion.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:55 PM
woodcock
Intermediate

The chassis and the suspension setup is definitely identical on both the 2S and the 4S, at least in Europe. As I said, I am unaware of any different US specs.

There are only a few 2S' with the Big Reds, which were not available as an optional extra from Porsche. However, most buyers replaced the standard 17' Cups with the 18' Turbolook wheels. Funnily enough, they might look better, but there are different views as to whether they actually drive better, too.

woodcock
Old 07-30-2004, 09:54 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have never driven a 993, 2S or 4S. I guess I will start by trying both. I think color and options may ultimately determine my decision. I am quite sure I will buy the 300hp model.
I so enjoy the feel of the road in my 911. I have never had a Porsche with power steering or w/o torsion bars. Some who have had a 911 and traded for a 993 have lamented the loss of the 'feel of the road' while lauding the ease of the power steering. What is your opinion?
I want a very low mileage car. I plan to keep it for as long as it takes Porsche to build a car that is as nice as the 'Proper Porsches', though I'm sure they will never produce another completely air/oil cooled car. Sometime we just have to let go. I hope that one day, soon, they will build something that will inspire me to buy a new model. 996s make me think of Tuner Cars, can't go that way. I know they are nice daily drivers, but....
Anything I should watch out for in a 993?

Quick Reply: Carrera S or C4S That is the question!