Old 06-12-2002, 10:41 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have THE SOLUTION!

[Prepare yourself, because I'm going to use a bunch of highly technical terms]

The clutch is actuated by the slave cylinder rod which presses on the clutch-actuating-arm-thing. In the face of the arm, there is a small indentation in which the end of the slave cylinder rod rests (picture the eraser end of a pencil pressing into the palm of your hand). Both the arm and the rod are metal, and the two metal pieces rub against each other as the rod pushes on the lever. Lubricate the junction of the rod/arm, and the squeeking will stop.

How I know: my car was in the shop, up on the rack, and I mentioned to the mechanic that the clutch was squeeking. I climbed into the car, and pressed the clutch pedal several dozen times whilst he pin-pointed the source. Squirt-squirt with some lube, and the noise stopped. It started squeeking again a few hundred miles later. Maybe a higher quality lube will fix it more permanently? Maybe polishing the end of the rod, and the dimple in the arm will do it?
Old 06-13-2002, 12:21 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi DJ,

Yep, I’m sure that will solve the squeak. As will replacing the slave, as this probably cleans out this metal to metal contact you speak of. Another source of the squeak comes from where the rod comes out of the slave cylinder. The rod has a rubber bushing around it, and the rod squeaks against this rubber bushing. Lubricating this or replacing the slave will solve this squeak as well. This rubber bushing might have been the source of your squeak, as the bushing and the rod/lever contact are within a half inch of each other and they would both be lubed with a squirt of lubricant. Whether or not it’s possible to find a permanent lubricant remains to be seen, as there is considerable pressure between the slave rod and the arm it contacts, plus exposure to the elements. Not to mention that the squeak is no big deal, as typically you can only hear it when the engine is off and the door is open. I don’t usually use the clutch much in that case.

But what lubricating these pieces won’t do is solve the hanging clutch pedal problem. For that you need the new pedal lever.

Tom
Old 07-09-2002, 03:54 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump this one to the top. My symptoms:

Squeeky clutch. Sounds like more of a "squeek" than a sound of a "haunted castle door from a Frankenstein movie", if you get my drift.

Trouble shifting into reverse. I have to play around a bit to get it to engage. Embarassing when you're trying to reverse into a parking space and traffic is waiting for you.

All other clutch performace is fine, and fluids just done recently.

Does this smell like the slave problem?
Old 07-09-2002, 09:41 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Kevin,

Just in case, You have to wait for a few seconds after the clutch pedal is depressed before you can shift to reverse

Quick Reply: NOOOOO-Not the stretchy spring sound...