Sponsored by:

Alarm Key

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 07:15 PM
SteveIH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Alarm Key

Just purchased 98 993 cab... the button for the alarm is an attachement as opposed to on the key itself... it says Porsche on the device as well. Is that normal, or is there something flaky with this? Was the stock alram and remote locks in the key or a separate device?
Old 06-11-2002, 07:26 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steve
Nothing to worry about. A prior owner converted the oem one piece "switchblade" key:

<a href="http://p-car.com/diy/key/" target="_blank">CONVERSION OF PORSCHE 993 "SWITCHBLADE" REMOTE - p-car.com</a>
Old 06-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

You'll like this setup more than the original which was big and bulky as can be seen from the pic's previously posted. Just don't lose the alarm portion and definitely have a back-up/spare.
Regards, Steve
Old 06-11-2002, 08:56 PM
SteveIH
Intermediate

Thanks for the info... you guys are great.
My car is on a truck from Chicago to NJ.. should have in a few days.. seller is a lincoln dealer.. he says they only have one set of keys! How much do you think it'll cost me to get a back up? Probably couple hundred bucks knowing Porsche!

This is a great board. I look forward to hangin with you guys.. and to adding value to the board once I become knowledegable... in the meantime, thanks for putting up with me while I'm a newbie.. I'll have lots of questions.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:24 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Malibusteve:
<strong>...definitely have a back-up/spare.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve
Malibusteve is referring to a spare remote battery. That's a good point. If the battery dies you're stuck unless you can perfom the "emergency start" sequence described in the owner's manual - about as easy as balancing a watermelon on your nose while hopping on one foot.
Replace the remote battery, unless you know it's a fresh one & keep a spare battery in your glovebox. RadioShack part #23-154 for a 2 pack. It's a 12v battery & is inexpensive. The same battery is used in many garage door remotes & is the same as #23, 23M, VR22, EL22 - among others.

<strong>...thanks for putting up with me while I'm a newbie.</strong>

Welcome aboard - while you're waiting for your car try the "search" link near the top right of the page to get into the archives. You'll find a wealth of info there which may answer questions, raise others & give you ideas for spending even more $$$
Old 06-11-2002, 11:26 PM
SteveIH
Intermediate

Thanks, I'll definitely get the battery... however, it seems like I should probably invest in an additional key... any idea what that costs?
Old 06-12-2002, 12:05 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts
Your local dealer can order a basic key from the Fatherland--once you show proof of ownership and ID--for $15 or so. The expensive part is getting a new remote transmitter, and re-programming it (and your original) to the drive block system. I was quoted an hours of labor @ $90 plus $120 for the parts.

Quick Reply: Alarm Key