993 Forum 1995-1998

Cabriolet Top Boot

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 06:17 PM
SteveIH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cabriolet Top Boot

Just purchased my 993 cab (98)... car came without a boot to snap over top when down. Does anyone ever use the boot? What should i expect to pay for a boot and can anyone recommend the best place to get one?
Old 06-11-2002, 07:01 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve,

I never use mine on the street unless I'm going for "the look", i.e. cruising down the coast with my wife, going to Porsche club events, etc...

HOWEVER... You should always use it for high-speed driving (+ 70mph) on the street and track days. The cab top liner will flop around and tear itself to ribbons if you drive fast without the cover in place.

Matt
Old 06-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Agree.

Look to spend about 400 or so.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was very happy when the previous owner of my car called to say they had found the boot for my car - I was trying to rationalize paying $500+ for an after market replacement (dealer said $1200 for a new one).

I drove all over (80+ mph) with the top down prior to getting a boot without problems. Now that I have it, like Matt, I use it when I want the car to look good or for longer highway trips with the top down.

If you don't have one, I recommend a windstop. It helps with the wind and folds away with the top when you raise it (ie, you do nothing). A nice example of good Porsche engineering.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:59 PM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

I would strongly recommend using the boot during highway driving. After about two years or so I started to get some fabric separating at the seem from the force of the wind. I always use the boot now during highway driving.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:24 AM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I found myself hestitated to lower the top because of the boot. It's just a litte too much work. I am thinking about having my wife make a much simpler top which only covers over the liner but not the whole top. I my idea is to make one with some kind of a stretchy and light weight fabric which has only 4 snap-on buttons, 2 for the front (one on each side) and 2 for the rear. How does it sound?
Old 06-12-2002, 11:12 AM
jhb
Racer

Agreed regarding the using the cover for the look, and for highway driving. It is just to cumbersome to drive around town running errands when you want to put the top up in a parking lot.

Only other note, however, in my old cab the liner disintegrated shortly after I bought it. The car was an 86, and I bought it in 94. The previous owner did not have the boot cover, and I assume he never had one. The Ultra-violet rays turned the fabric into paper, it just tore away with no effort.

There have been a few boot covers on Ebay. If you buy it on ebay the mounting clips may not align properly, and you may have to adjust them, creating holes where the old snaps were located.

Has anyone switched boot covers with another car and know if the snaps align up?
Old 06-12-2002, 02:57 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

<<<<<Has anyone switched boot covers with another car and know if the snaps align up?>>>>>

I think there may be variations in spacing from car to car. I remember reading somewhere (I think it was the Cabrioworld.com website), that the boots come without the snaps installed - the snaps are installed to match the male-ends on the car.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:09 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by J-McDonald:
<strong>&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;Has anyone switched boot covers with another car and know if the snaps align up?&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

I think there may be variations in spacing from car to car. I remember reading somewhere (I think it was the Cabrioworld.com website), that the boots come without the snaps installed - the snaps are installed to match the male-ends on the car.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is correct. When I replaced mine, they had to install the snaps.

One word of caution (advise):

If you are going to have them "fit" the boot and you have any desire to put the windscreen on, have them fit it with the screen in place to get a better fit.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Top Boot