Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance improvement for '95 993 - What's worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
My 95 non VR has way more capabilities than I as as a driver. Happy with it. Wouldn't mind the re gear though
When I realised this fine point, I stopped winding the guts out and shifted at 6500 rather than the near 7000 previously. Well said Cactus.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this has been interesting reading. in 2001 when this thread started, I was driving a Lexus GS400 and thinking I had a high performance vehicle! Obviously, I've learned a lot since then... and, most importantly learned how much I don't know. A couple of the old posts have me concerned...I'm putting back together a 95 993 that had a "mishap" at a DE. The factory cat and one of the Fabspeed mufflers were heavily damaged. Thanks to my insurance company's less-than-enlightened view of the value of my car, I had to consider alternatives to new OEM parts for several pieces. I chose to replace the entire exhaust system with the Fabspeed maxflo header/muffler system. The car will rarely be driven on the street and Indiana doesn't do emissions testing or even safety inspections... so, I thought a system without a cat would be very beneficial to performance (and not just because of the 40+lb weight savings). Steve W's post about lower backpressure reducing performance unless a different cam is used causes great concern. Can anyone (Steve) help me understand this a bit more. Should I be calling the Fabspeed guys for a return authorization?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:50 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guardsredcab,
Modern catalytic converters don't add much restriction. I think the 1/2 hp you gain from removing the cats will be far outweighed by the environmental damage done by not having them.
I know I will be fabbing up some custom headers and exhaust when I receive my car, but it will be mostly for the "cool" factor.
I work for an exhaust manufacturer (Diesel Particulate Filters) so my opinion on emissions is a little biased
Old 08-21-2009, 01:23 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
I've been giving some thought to doing some relatively minor things to my '95 993 w/ Tiptronic tranmission to enhance the performance.
One of the things that I've thought about is a simple ship upgrade. I came across the following info on the Autothority upgrade - I'm curious if the info is accurate and if this yields any noticable improvement.
Stage 1 Chip upgrade only +13 hp
Stage 2 Chip upgrade + filter +18 hp

Are these results realistic & noticable? Are there other chips available that yield better results?

I was also thinking about an Airbox mod (such as that from Fabspeed) - any opinions?

My intention is to maintain the car as a daily driver; but if I can do some relatively easy/inexpensive things to enhance the performance, that's what I'm after. What things should I be considering? I don't think I'm interested in thingss like rebuilding the engine, supercharging, turbocharging, etc...

Thanks for your input.
for a street car?
buy a spiffy-cool-sounding-exhaust setup.
the sound will make you feel faster.
it works for me

or

just drive your car on a downhill, off-camber corner @ 80 mph + on street tires, (something like turn 10 @ Laguna Seca)
I'll bet your car seems plenty fast.

that works for me too, or at least it did on Monday's DE.

cheers

craig

Quick Reply: Performance improvement for '95 993 - What's worthwhile?