993 C4 as winter car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 08:56 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Post 993 C4 as winter car?

Hello, all ... I've owned a bunch of 911s, including a couple of 993s, in Florida, but I recently moved to Boston. Last winter, I went through it with two cars ... a 95 Saab and an 88 Carrera. Because the insurance rates are so high here, it's costing me over $1200 a year to insure a $5000 Saab. I'm considering buying a nice 1995 993 C4 coupe to use as my only transporation. I know that I would need to put a set of winter tires (Dunlops, I suppose, and 16" rims if I can find a set) on it to have any hope at all, but does anyone here use a C4 daily in the snow? How does it compare, say, to an Audi Quattro? Are the concerns beyond powerwashing the undercarriage when it's salty and at the end of the season? Does the undertray help protect the bottom of the car?

Hope this topic hasn't been beat to death, a search for "snow" didn't turn up much.

TIA

Vic
Old 11-10-2001, 01:15 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vic,

I use my 993TT as a daily driver during the winter, with Pirelli 240 Wintersport tires. With its AWD, it is more than capable of handling the snow (and it has been lowered with Eibach springs). I rinse the undersurface of the car as frequently as possible, e.g. whenever the temp climbs above 32 F. My neighbors must wonder about the idiot washing his car when it's 33 F outside!
Old 11-11-2001, 01:09 AM
awd911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove a 1991 C4 year around with regular tires. All season would have been better. I got around fine. The car does take on some wear and tear with the snow, mud and salt. I also drove a 1990 C2 through winter without a problem. The newer cars with anti-lock brakes are fine, however, if you try it with a older non anti-lock car (like a 1988 Carrera) you will get flipped around in a lickity split. Now I have a '95 Carrera which I also plan to drive through winter.
I buy the ones that are not perfect so I can enjoy them.

John
Old 11-11-2001, 01:33 PM
porsche4fun
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't understand insurance company systems, but i think it'd be a good idea for you to get the insurance quote for the 993 before making your decision. by the time you factor in the switching costs of selling your current car(s), buying the new car and paying the sales tax/registration, and the possible higher cost of maintaning a supercar in a crappy winter environment...just make sure you focus on why you're doing this. if you really like the new car, great. if you're doing it to save money, just make sure you factor in all the variables.
patrick
'89 911 cab
Old 11-11-2001, 07:02 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Surprisingly, I pay almost exactly the same amount to insure my 2001 Boxster as I do to insure my 95 Saab. Massachusetts is a really nutty state when it comes to taxes and insurance. The fact that I have a one-car garage is further incentive to drive a Porsche fulltime, as digging the Saab out of the driveway isn't much fun.

Thanks for the input ...

Vic

Quick Reply: 993 C4 as winter car?