Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: New or Used Catalytic converter.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 12:05 AM
SeaJeff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice: New or Used Catalytic converter.

Fellow fans,
A few of you may have seen my photos of the aftermarket cats and mufflers on my '96 C4S. Thanks to those that offered assitance with identifying the parts.

At this point I'm on the track of replacing these parts- likely with RSR mufflers and a plain old stock 993 catalytic converter.

My question is whether its a good idea to buy a new or used cat. If used, I'd ask for mileage, condtion, etc... but it seems like it's possibly a risky proposition in case the cores are damaged beyond what can be visibly seen.

If a used cat is a good way to go if anyone has recommendations of salvage yards that you've had good luck at please send your recommendations.

I'm sure I'll also need mounting hardware, fasteners, small expensive little parts, etc.. so was going to go down to the local porsche dealer and see if I can't photocopy a couple of pages of their techmanuals on this system which I'm hoping will show all the parts I'll need. (Are they good at this?) Where do you guys recommend purchasing the fastners and other hardware? I wouldn't assume the porsche dealership, but maybe that's the only place to get some of the speciality mounting hardware. Or maybe there's an equivalent of carnewel for little parts!

Thanks for your thoughts-
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 07-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

A new cat is around $2500. I have a used one that came off my 13k mile race car. If you are interested let me know.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:22 AM
kary993
Drifting

A friend of mine was rear ended on an auto-x track by a poll and needed a new cat as a result. Instead of purchasing a new factory cat which is allot of money as Greg pointed out, he "upgraded" to the 100 cell cat and really likes it. Not sure it really adds any horsepower but it is significantly lighter where weight needs to be removed. Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:46 AM
SeaJeff
Instructor

Thanks Greg & Kary- for your quick responses-

Greg- yes, I'm intersted- just sent you an email (your pm is full).
Kary- I'm also striving to bring my 993 back to more of a stock look. I've searched the archives and googled a bit for 100 cell cats but didn't find any standouts for porsches. Which do you recommend and I'll check out their site.
thx!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:48 AM
kary993
Drifting

The only places I know to get them are with FVD and Cargraphic.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jeff,

I printed out the pictures and a parts list but there are not any part numbers. You can check it out tommorow. See you at 3:30.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Advice: New or Used Catalytic converter.