Oil pressure guage anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 07:15 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Oil pressure guage anomaly

I'm hoping someone can provide some clues to my problem with a 96 993.

After taking the car out of storage this spring, I noticed that the oil pressure guage was pegged to the top of the guage. After driving the car, the oil pressure warning light came on. Checked the oil level and it was fine. The guage then behaved erratically, alternating between being pegged to the top or the bottom.

Took the car to my german mechanic who checked my oil pressure guage on his car (95 993). It worked fine. He thought it could be a faulty oil pressure sending unit. Replaced the sending unit, but the same problem.

My airbag light also comes on after starting the car, and then goes off after about a minute or two .

Is this an onboard computer problem?

Help! I'm at a complete loss.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:02 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

This car a flood recovery? Sounds like electrical/wiring.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't help with this one (except to back up Ray, sounds most likely bad electrics..) but I have a question to you:

Hod did you replaced the sending unit? Are you talking about the unit on the engine? I've been told that you need to drop the engine in order to do that, was that the case?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:26 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finn - I'm not sure whether it's the same for 964's and 993's, but I had the oil pressure sending unit replaced on my '91 C2. It involved a lot of work removing parts to get to it (i.e., around $300-400 in labor), but no engine drop.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:34 PM
Kabel
Intermediate

This sounds very suspiciously like an electricl corrosion type problem. I don't know in what climate or what preparations you took to prep the vehicle for storage, but damp cold storage can lead to a corrosion around the electrical connectors especially with a trickle charger attached ( and sometimes without one attached). It won't be easy to find, but I think you might want to visually check all the wiring from the oil pressure gague to as many different contact and routing points to see if there is any signs of corrosion before jumping to the sending unit replacement gig!
Old 08-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks J,
I've heard that in 993 it's engine drop that you need to do that's why I was curious...
Old 08-06-2002, 12:27 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for everyone's replies. I did a fair amount of research and it turns out its a wiring harness failure endemic to 95 & 96 993's.

Although the report focuses on the 95's, there were failures on the 96's as well. Cost to replace is aprox $1500-$1800. ($500 for harness + 5to8 hrs labor). I'm trying to have Porsche take care of it or some of it. It seems that some owners have had some success with Porsche. Below is a link to where you can find details on the actual USDOT report.

<a href="http://www.pcarracing.homestead.com/wiring_harness.html" target="_blank">http://www.pcarracing.homestead.com/wiring_harness.html</a>

BTW, the 95's had a 6% defect rate and the 96's had a 1.7% defect rate (Fairly high).

On another note. Went to a track school. 1.8mile track with 11 turns. It was awesome!!!

Cheers
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
lupcho
1st Gear

Just wandering if I do replace oil pressure sending unit will I see an increse in performance (thx)
Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 PM
dehavens
Advanced

Originally Posted by lupcho
Just wandering if I do replace oil pressure sending unit will I see an increse in performance (thx)
WTF?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lupcho
Yes, make sure your gear box and CV's are up to the task, then hold on.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Sachin:

I just had the wiring harness on my '95 replaced for the second time (first by this owner). It turns out there is still an open replacement recall for this. If you insist, especially if the harness has never been replaced, the dealer should do it at n/c.

I got the dealer to do the second replacement at n/c.

Good luck. If you need more information, post again or send me a PM and I can give you more detail.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure guage anomaly