Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spoiler noise - motor or tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 04:47 PM
JJG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear spoiler noise - motor or tranny?

I'd like to fix my rear spoiler's "coffee grinder" sound. Is it the motor or the transmission that needs to be replaced? Or does a little grease somewhere solve the problem?

I have searched the forum's past threads but it wasn't clear to me. Regards.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2002, 05:18 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Noise is the transmission in the rear deck that will have to be replaced. Its called the "wing lift transmissiongear drive". Part # for my 1997 993 was 964-624-121-00 at about $220.00

Mike Cap
Old 08-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How loud is the noise? Mine has made noise since I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago -- hasn't gotten louder and it still works fine.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:55 PM
JJG
Instructor

pretty loud as I can hear it over the engine. Though this seems to be a common issue, I haven't seen any posts indicating the lift actually failed on anyone.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:48 AM
WLWMGT
AutoX

I may have the quiet'est rear spoiler going on my 96 C4. I can't hear a thing, unless I manually raise the spoiler with the motor off, then its a steady low grinding sound. Anyway has anyone installed an indicator (light or gauge) showing the position of the spoiler? I know it goes up because of the shadow I can see when the sun is low in the sky and that it raises at about 48 mph. But it might be of interst to know for sure.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:55 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the coffee grinder noise as well. It sounds like things are out of alignment, but my mechanic diagnosed it as the motor. He replaced it and the noise has not returned. This was a few years ago. If I recall, it was around $100, parts and labor.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:30 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
For those who had their noise fixed, I was wondering if it is completely gone, or dramatically quieter?

I finally took the time to investigate if it was the lift motor that was making the loud grinding noise. After taking a few things apart, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the motor. The motor was fine, worked well, I even lubricated it. Apparently, all the plastic parts of the wing, including the grill, the black plastic wall, other flimsy plastic pieces all vibrated as the motor lifted and lowered the wing. I noticed there was less noise when lifting the wing, than lowering it. I figured this out, by holding various pieces of the wing while my friend lifted and lowered it.

The only way I could see most, or all of noise to disappear is if to replace any metal washers with rubber washers, take apart the whole wing and grease all the contact points or all-together just buy a new wing which is solidly intact and hasn't sustained any impact to lose its rigidity.

Anyone else have any ideas ?

-nelson
Old 04-04-2003, 12:03 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, its the "spoiler trans" that is making the noise. My car was very noisy and upon replacing the spoiler trans all is very, very quiet. the spoiler trans gears were very sloppy from usage.

George
Old 04-04-2003, 12:27 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
WLWMGT,

It is hard to tell when the spoiler is up. If you look as low as possible in your rear view mirror (out the window), you will be able to see the spoiler. The tip of the outside edge is slightly visible.

-Skip

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler noise - motor or tranny?