Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli Flat-Spot ruins driving...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 04:47 AM
WillBank
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Pirelli Flat-Spot ruins driving...

Over the last couple of weeks my car has begun to develop a persistent vibration between 90-130 mph and at all speeds has begun to pull to the left.

This has been getting worse recently and yesterday I noticed that at very low rolling speeds (sub 5 mph) I can actually see the front left wing rising and falling by 5-10mm as the wheel turns...

So I recon I have a flat spot on my front left Pirelli.

But, would this cause the pull to the left as well? Is there a way of testing to be sure that it is a flat spot? If it is, should I change the tyre for a new one (annoying as it has only done 1000 miles)? WHY do they do this?!

All help gratefully appreciated. Many thanks, Will.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:58 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi,
Surely the wing rising and falling has to be a suspension problem. I'm not a mechanic but I find it difficult to equate flat spots with the wing rising and falling.
Tito.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:13 AM
WillBank
Instructor

Tito... gd point. Not one I wanted to hear but I suppose you are right... what could cause it on the suspension front???
Old 06-10-2002, 08:37 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by WillBank:
<strong>Tito... gd point. Not one I wanted to hear but I suppose you are right... what could cause it on the suspension front???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bad Shock maybe.
But I have had a bad set of Pirelli's and have heard of others as well. Swap the tires out first and hopefully that will solve it. Get your tire dealer involved, hopefully they will get Pirelli to replace them if they are the problem.
Greg
Old 06-10-2002, 01:23 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Willbank, I think your original thoughts were right. Why don't you jack up the front and try turning the wheel, look for the flat spot (or bent rim!). Suspension can't really cause this, although something awry with your (front) all wheel drive might ??

You could always get it up on a hoist with all wheels rolling (sounds like something from a **** site!). Just some thoughts, anyway - cheers, Maurice.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:42 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts
It may not be a flat spot. You could have a damaged belt is that particular tire.

Quick Reply: Pirelli Flat-Spot ruins driving...