Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valentine 1 Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 02:09 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan...if you could elaborate on what wire you tapped into under the dash, it would be much appreciated.
thanks
Old 11-08-2001, 08:50 PM
gohno
Intermediate

Thanks to everybody for the reply, especially Dan. I will attempt to perform his DIY this weekend. Dan, it would be great if you could elaborate on where you tapped into the power source. Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2001, 03:17 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd like to weigh in with my install. It was real easy and is clean.

Unit is behind but to the right of the rear view mirror ...out of my view from the drivers seat...I did not want to block any view forward. The for and aft sensors are clear of being blocked by the mirror.

The remote is double back taped to the ledge on the dash in the center so the button is easy to hit to turn off the sound.

I also used the switched power source from the sunroof. Access was easy and the power unit tucks in neatly in the forward portion of the console. There is a nice access panel on the passenger side of the console for access. The wire routes up to the remote in the gap for the ash tray and back the other side and then under the dash to the right hand side of the windshield. It slips easily under the windsheild gasket and on up to the center by the rear view mirror.

I have the Audi set up the same way with a remote and I just move the unit back and forth as required.

I leave the wire dangling in the windsheild when I move the detector to the other car so I do not drive off unprotected. I have been saved many times in Washington State from the revenue collectors. Now if I could just get them to ignore my lack of front plate!!
Old 11-09-2001, 04:00 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by PRDATR:
<STRONG>OOOPS I feel like a total azz this was meant for the 928 board not the 993 board.

My Apologies.

</STRONG>
If you click on the icon with the pencil above your message, you can edit or delete your own messages with no record of the change.

E. J.
Old 11-10-2001, 12:01 AM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Talking

Thought I'd weigh in with my install - like others, I remote powered from the fuse box, into the passenger compartment through the rubber grommet that is kinda above the drivers clutch foot - you'll find it if you look, but watch your back !

Chrck my Rennlist site for a picture of the install of the remote display into the ashtray.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:04 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by esb97targa:
<strong>Dan...if you could elaborate on what wire you tapped into under the dash, it would be much appreciated.
thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

esb
Sorry for delay, just returned from out of town trip.
Lying on your back w/head in passenger's footwell looking up under dash you'll see a black plastic plug in connector on the driver's end, bottom most corner of the oem radio (mine is CR210). As seen in the photo below, it has a red wire w/black stripe. Unplug the connector from the radio & pull it down to work on it. Using one of those quick connect wire taps, tap your V1 power line into the red/black striped wire. Replug the radio connection. There are several available solid ground sources in the area.

WARNING: Positioning yourself in the manner described may subject you to injuries to back, neck or other parts of your body, and/or embarrassment and humiliation if help is needed getting out of the car.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:56 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan, I like your install. How did you attach the main unit with clear tape? Did you use the visor clip? or the suction cups? What did you tape it too?
Old 11-12-2001, 12:30 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

Talking

Dan,
Thanks for following up with the added details for the V1 install...I really appreciate it!
Old 11-12-2001, 04:52 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by tom97c4s:
<strong>Dan, I like your install. How did you attach the main unit with clear tape? Did you use the visor clip? or the suction cups? What did you tape it too?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tom
I affixed the V1 windshield suction cup mount to the top of the windshield using 3M clear, double backed tape (available at Home Depot) cut to the size of the cups. I have a spare V1 windshield mount so the ability to remove the mount was not an issue for me. The V1 is, of course, easily removed. My prime goal was to have as secure a mount as possible & I don't trust suction cup mounts alone not to come undone when stressed.

When I first did this install, the tape would not hold to the rubber suction cups when exposed to high heat from the sun. My eventual solution was to instant glue the paper side of 1500 grit sandpaper to the rubber cups and then use the rough side to provide extra grip for the tape. That trick has worked well. Note that you will see the paper side through the clear suction cups so you may wish to use a marker to color it black. I'm sure there may be other solutions to that problem. The tape to glass side needs nothing more than an alcohol cleaning of the glass to stick tight.

The V1 body is offset towards the driver's side so using the antenna center wire or rearview mirror location as a center mark, the mount should be located about ¼" off center to the right (passenger) side so both sun visors will clear the V1, when folded down. Position the mount with the suction cups as high up on the glass as possible (the upper edge will be under the rubber molding).

Try a dry run before peeling off the protective sheet from the tape. Push hard & let it sit overnight before sliding the V1 into the mount.

As I said before, this mount works best w/the concealed display since the V1 is located out of the line of sight & is barely noticeable from inside or outside the car (at least in my black interior).
Old 11-12-2001, 05:01 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan

Thanks for your tip and picture for finding a power source. Much appreciated.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:20 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info on mounting. I can't wait till mine is in!
Old 11-24-2004, 11:38 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

>> There are several available solid ground sources in the area

Could someone please offer some more detail on where to attach the ground?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

one more question: anyway to raise the remote display on the steering wheel column when placed between the tach and speedo ?? i have a OBC display in the tach. It seems the steering wheel column dips down and the unit is below mhy line of sight. Anyone have a way to raise it?
Old 11-25-2004, 06:58 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

For my V1 install in my cab, I used the cab top console switch as a power source and did the same for a friend's install. It's a switched power source and you can use one of the center console mounting screws as a ground (when you pop off the center switch plates you can see two mounting screws). The location is convenient as I mounted the remote display inside the ashtray...also easy to get to if you need to replace the fuse. The inner tray in the ashtray is removable and you just need to trim the white plastic insert on top (it lets light into the ashtray) so that you can thread the wire through. The remote display is a perfect friction fit in this inner insert...no additional tape or screw are required. For the main unit I have this over the rearview mirror using the suction cup mounts...I have been looking for a stealthy way to mount the main unit but as it's a cab, my options are limited. My only concern currently is that in an accident, having a 1lb. chunk of magnesium flying around the passenger space is not appealing. There is exactly enough room to have a shell containing the V1 mounted under and to the front of the interior light but this will require some fabrication....anyone have fiberglass fabrication skills??

This is another interesting option for a display that I was hoping to do with my Audi....
Old 11-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve in SLO
I recently ordered the remote display unit for my V1, and after seeing it's bulk, I took it apart and discovered that the actual guts are really quite compact. I am planning to mount it in the tach by cutting out the face where the trip computer would normally be, and installing it there. I am looking for a replacement tach face that doesn't cost and arm and a leg(I have a C2S and couldn't bear cutting into the special edition face), and will post pics (if and) when I get it installed.
There's a DIY for this on p-car.com: V1 Tach Remote Display DIY

-Chris

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 Install