993 Forum 1995-1998

Carbon Deposit Demons Foiled!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

rltokar, are you by any chance Bob Tokar in New Mexico? If so, could you tell me who your mechanic is?

My car ('96 C4S with ~80k miles, no excessive oil consumption) is at the dealer right now for my final repair session before I come off my Porsche certified used car warranty. One of the issues is the CEL. I get a P0410 on my generic OBDII reader. I'm trying to get it covered under warranty (doesn't sound likely by others' experiences, but we'll see). If they won't cover it, I'll probably take it elsewhere, and it sounds like your mechanic has the right equipment (assuming you're not at the dealer also).

I have mixed feelings about tearing into the engine too (especially because my experiences at the dealer have been uniformly bad), but on the other hand I'm getting real sick of looking at that CEL!

Thanks,
Paul
Old 08-25-2004, 02:01 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, Please pass along whatever info you get to me, please. I have been under the assumption the the best wrench in New Mexico is in California, and I have a small problem that I would like to run by someone. The dealer is no bueno for sure, the folks at Wittler's cannot help, and Russ Kelso cannot help so I'm thinking California.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, it looks like good news/bad news.

The good news is that the dealer says they will cover my CEL repair under my Porsche-certified warranty.

The bad news is that their tech is out for two weeks for 997 training, and once he gets back it will take 3 weeks to do the job. They pull the heads and send them to a machine shop in Phoenix that "specializes" in this problem.

GratefulJED- no further information on decent mechanics. I absolutely share your conviction that New Mexico's best mechanic is in California. Phoenix is probably somewhat better also, I think the folks here just simply do not see enough of these cars to become expert.

Paul
Old 08-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search for Check Valve. Laura at Hergesheimers has commented on this part that seems to rust and fail. Sounds like replacement of this part should be part of every major service.

My only question for those who have had valve jobs or top-end rebuilds as part of the CEL/SAI solution: if this check valve is part of what triggers the SAI and carbon build-up issue, wouldn't failure of this part, even with carbon deposits cleared, still trigger a CEL or at a minimum, a fault code on OBDII that would cause smog test problems? Laura?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:07 AM
DelMarMike
1st Gear

Default Socal CEL adventure

The CEL lit-up on my 96 993 at 75,000 miles. I leak nothing and burn about 1qt/2000 miles. The dealer wants to do a full blown head job for $5500, sending the heads to Los Angeles or for $600 they will take piano wire and mechanically remove the buildup.

I took the car on a 1000 mile ride this past weekend and on day 2 the CEL light went off!

IS MY PROBLEM SOLVED? WILL IT SMOG? WILL THE P CODES STILL COME UP? thanks for any insight
Old 09-01-2004, 12:28 PM
dale_loch
Instructor

Standing in the back of the car (facing the engine) that part is located on the right side of the engine up towards the firewall. It is under the intake manifold and I believe that the part is somehow how tied into the auxillary/smog air pump (right side of engine compartment). I don't have my car with me to confirm so I'm merely guessing right now.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

My comment on this since I have been getting the CEL Secondary Air Intake gremlin for over a year now:

I went to Stead Porsche here in Walnut Creek, CA (no affiliation except as a customer) in order to get the wiring harness done on my 96 993 (previous owner never had it done). While I was there, the service manager advised that since I had over 100K miles, if I ever had the CEL come on, and if it was for SAI. I said it has come on, and the last several times it had come on, I had the light cleared (courtesy of Viper Bob thanks for all those CEL clears!). The service manager recommended that since I was getting the wiring harness done, it would be a good time to get the SAI problem fixed because the headers were going to be removed for the wiring harness job. Basically, he ended up replacing the Check Valve and the Air Injector Valve (I have the part numbers somewhere at home if anyone needs them) for a total cost of $250 ($200 parts ouch and $50 labor). Normally it would have cost $700 if I wasn't getting the wiring harness done. Hopefully that has fixed the problem, and maybe other people who are getting the SAI CEL may look into this method instead of getting a full on head job for thousands more.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:40 PM
b-line LA
4th Gear

I had a problem getting my car smogged in Cali. And I am still living with a constant CE light even though my car is running great.
I went to a referee and they cleared the car, no problem.. with no work done to the car at all.
Beverly Hills Porsche wanted to charge me something like $1500 to clear the FLAGS and still would not guarantee a pass on smog.. They said they had to do something like have a tech drive it for 4 hours and reset some flags in the process. It's all B.S. I paid something like $20 to the referee and it cleared just fine.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:23 PM
solsrch
Pro

Art, last time I had mine in at a good independent (post PSS9 alignment trip) he mentioned the check valve too. Could you provide the part numbers? I'd could use them. Thanks! Joe
Old 09-12-2004, 01:55 AM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

Solsrch - Sorry for the late reply...haven't been on comp for awhile...away on vacation. I will get you the Part #'s so that you can get the parts. They were like $200 in parts at the dealer (probably can get them for less somewhere else.) and $50 in labor to do since I had my wiring harness done at the same time. I will look it up tomorrow on the receipt and get you those #'s.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

LeeH is right -- Porsche should take some responsibility. If I knew where to write I'd fill up their inbox.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:49 PM
97993cab
2nd Gear

Hello,
Does anyone with this issue live in NH? As far as I know, there are no referees.
My 97 993 won't pass emissions because fault codes in my OBD does not allow the State computer to even sycn up. as a result I get a fail. Historically the mechanic would clear the cosed and I try driving it enough to reset everyuhing. this used to work, but not this year. Interesting thing is that the CLE light will stay off for long periods of time evn when the car won't reset.
Any NH brothers out there with any insights?
Old 10-15-2016, 05:03 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not a NH brother, but plenty of insight documented here!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...i-circuit.html

Quick Reply: Carbon Deposit Demons Foiled!!!!