Sponsored by:

Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 01:04 PM
Francesco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rev Limiter

Anyone ever caused any damage by hitting the rev limiter? A friend of mine drove my car yesterday, and hit the rev limiter in 3rd for about 2 seconds. I know it's there for a purpose (to prevent over-reving),so I would be very surprised if anyone has sustained damage???? How does it work (ie does it cut the ignition?)

many thanks
Old 11-05-2001, 01:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Hi Francesco:

Hitting the rev limiter, once in a great while, will not damage anything. Hitting it during track events and somewhat continuously is very hard on the rods and rod bolts, and NOT recommended.

The rev-limiting function on Motronic cars is controlled in software (chip controlled fuel cut-off) and should not be changed, much less exceeded, unless certain mechanical components of the engine are upgraded.

At a minimum, I would change the valve springs, valve spring retainers, and rod bolts, if operation at the rev limiter or higher is required.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:09 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<STRONG>How does it work (ie does it cut the ignition?)
</STRONG>
It cuts fuel. Cutting the ignition, and not fuel, would dump raw fuel into a very hot exhaust system. This is a bad thing.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:50 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Francesco '97 993 S:

I had a '96 993 that I converted to a track car and ran for over 100 hours in 2 years in racing and/or race like conditions. I hit the rev limiter countless times with no ill effects. One caveat to that is that it depends how you hit the rev limiter. If you downshift from 3rd or 5th into 2nd, that would be a bad thing if you meant to select 4th or 6th. If you are not in gear and you just nail the accelerator pedal until the rev limiter kicks in, that would be a bad thing but not as bad as the aforementioned unintentional downshift. If, however, you just bounce of the rev limiter, forget about it. No damage has occurred. Like Steve suggests, I wouldn’t make a habit of it, but once or twice or even 20 times isn’t going to damage anything. I am sure that there is always some strange case where someone slightly over revs a motor with catastrophic results, but you would probably know that by now.

Just my experience,

Hank Cohn
Old 11-06-2001, 03:37 AM
George Helser
Instructor

The rev limiter is the signal to upshift. When racing, the optimum point to upshift in most Porsches is at redline. I try to shift just before the rev limiter engages but in some cases I reach the limiter and do not worry about it.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 11-06-2001, 09:48 AM
Redlined993
AutoX

Francesco,

As my rennlist name suggests, I have very similar experiences as Hank. I run a '95 993 as a track only PCA racer and have logged over 3500 track miles in the last two years. I hit the rev limiter at least three or four times a day on the track, coming from acceleration NOT downshifting. The engine which is bone stock has not suffered any ill effects so far and I have run with many other 993s that encounter similar limiter conditions with no problems. Therefore, one brush with the rev limiter (hopefully the engine was warmed up and properly filled with oil) should be no problem whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Rev Limiter