Sponsored by:

got one!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:54 AM
rad911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking got one!

since childhood i dreamed of owning a 911. you all know what i am talking about. the 911 always stood out to me as a special car head and shoulders about the rest. in my mind, is is THE CAR. i have often found myself checking out classified section on the paper under the porsche section just to check it out, not that i could afford one. several years back i drove a 944 for a few years to help quench the thirst. it didn't do it for me. over the last year, i made a hobby of checking out ebay motors porsches. i saw cars come and go, learned the prices, sellers and buyers, etc. then it happened. someone listed my dream car on ebay. how dare they! worse yet, it was someone in my locale! worst of all, it was too expensive and seemed to spark a lot interest among other ebay lookyloos. my color, my interior, few extras. superlong story short. it is now in my garage! so much for reserve cash in the bank. so much for real estate investment. wife said i deserve it! love her. 1997 C2S is now mine to love.

details on the car: 4k documented miles, driven(not driven) by local plastic surgeon's wife, silver/gray, gemballa tail, gemballa skirts, gemballa wheels, BB exhaust, some sort of chip i am not sure about, springs.

questions i have for all of you experts:
1. the car sits really low. looks great but the tires rub. this has got to be solved. what can i do? i have 295/30/18's in the back. i have the stock springs but want to keep the aggressive lower look.

2. it has a cartronic/motronic computer chip. what the heck is that?

3. any clear bra users out on the 993?

i will post pics as soon as i can.

i mainly wanted to share my enthusiasm with the rest of you porsche lovers.

rad911
Old 07-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations and welcome; next step is to join the crowd and become a Rennlister

I can only answer q1. These wheels are too large. Our 993RS (narrow body) has 265/30/18 at the back and if you look at the attache pic, our car is VERY low. (103 MMs is the ground clearance)
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rad911
...1. the car sits really low. looks great but the tires rub. this has got to be solved. what can i do? i have 295/30/18's in the back. i have the stock springs but want to keep the aggressive lower look...3. any clear bra users out on the 993?...rad911
I am assuming that the tires are rubbing on the inside of the fender and not against the suspension components. You should easily be able to fit 295 tires on a WB if the rim offset is correct. Yours don't seem correct so if you decide to keep the rims, your choice is either to go to a narrower tire (say 265s or 285s, which may actually improve handling) or roll the fenders. I would go with rolling the fenders until you are ready to shop for new rims.

Lots of choices out there for clear bras...if you want DIY take a look at www.invinca-shield.com

Last edited by David in LA; 07-21-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Welcome, Rad, and congrats on your first air-cooled 911!

As David said, check the archives WRT to clear bra. I have it on my car and think it looks great, although not as visually perfect as a clear bra-less car which would eventually be imperfect anyway since you'd have rock chips unlesss you never drove it. Lots of people have the Invinca-Shield; I was told by some that the pricier Xpel has a better fit. I went Xpel.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your first Porsche! Isn't it an exciting time of your life?? We look forward to pics of what sounds like an awesome car!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:13 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Which tires rub, front or rear? (beautiful car BTW Monique...) I used to run 285ers on my RS and even added an extra wheel spacer (did have to roll the rear fenders though)... If the front ones, when turning, not so sure (might be too low...)
Old 07-21-2004, 06:28 PM
rad911
AutoX

thanks for the replys folks. since my car is a c2s widebody, i would not think that the 295 is too wide. as david in la mentioned, maybe it is a spacer issue. will have to check it out. i am learning to upload the pics.
Attached Images   
Old 07-21-2004, 06:50 PM
kary993
Drifting

It could just be the angle of the picture but it looks like the ride height in the rear is much lower relative to the front than it should be. Is it just the picture? What size tires are on the front? What suspension is on the car?
Old 07-21-2004, 06:58 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If it is the rears, 295's should fit without a problem on a C4S with the correct offset. If you are getting intermittent rubbing whenever you hit a bump or something, you can also go with a little more negative camber in the rear. The rear does not look too low. If you are getting rub when you go over a bump, it could be the shocks.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:02 AM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

rad911...I agree with kary993, your car looks like it is higher in the front with the angle the picture was taken from. Rear ride height looks good...I question the front?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Should not be a problem of tire size... more wheel offset. I used to run 285's on the rear of my narrow body with no clearance issues and the arches weren't even rolled.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:43 AM
rad911
AutoX

thanks all. the front really does not sit too high. i think the picture angle is the cause of the front looking too high. i have other pics but could not upload them (limited space allowed here). i am going to take the car to get the suspension looked at. i do not know the type o springs my car has on them. seems silly i don't know that. i am hoping it is just an offset issue. i will try to upload some more pics.

Quick Reply: got one!