Sponsored by:

Running of the Turtles Putnam Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Running of the Turtles Putnam Park

Since our fearless leader is busy and I have not posted on the 993 board in a while I thought I would recap the HWFM race weekend at Putnam Park.

The Good: All members of HWFM came home intact. The weather was wonderful. Great close racing all weekend. No mechanical faliures

The Bad: Hoosier tires cording. Mike and I were running on early production S04's Mikes fronts let go sometime during the Sprint race, my front corded in the Top Gun race. I have 5 heat cycles, I think Mike had 6.

The Ugly: No real ugly to speak of. 1 car hit the wall at turn 10 in practice (996 race car) but not car to car contact all weekend. Many spins off track in race group 3 (F class and below).

Random observations from the weekend:

I forgot what award Greg Fishman won for the incredible job he did saving his car while sliding sideways down the front straight at around 100mph for about 50-75 yards after being pinched in a turn. People watching the race on the rail were cheering and clapping as Greg saved his car from disaster. I believe Greg also podiumed in his new race class!

A Chicago e car (944 Turbo S) and silent member of HWFM found the swamp outside of turn 4 and was buried up to the doors. He went so deep that the car was not visible from the stands. All was good with no damage and no 13

100 lbs of mean (Nicky King 993, Fat Dog Racing) battled her nemisiss a 930 turbo to a 3rd place finish in D class after emergency surgery on a blown wheel bearing.

Fast Bill E. (Bill-Chicago) blew away the field with his new to him 03 Cup car.
Bill held off many very fast cars to take 2nd in class, only beaten by a car that was driven by soon to be pro racer in a 04 Cup car.

And for the story line of the weekend:
Mike and I going mano a mano for the first time ever.
As some of you know, I retired the 993 racing cab this winter to buy a 944 S2 race car. I wanted to play with my buddies and test my skills against some of the best drivers in PCA club racing( E-I class)
This was my first race and only second track weekend with the new car and my expecations were pretty low as I am driving on a 13 and just wanted to get a feel for the car and the drivers I would be competing against in this new to me class. Mike is driving an identical 944 S2 so it was to be a great test of machines.
All weekend our times were within 1 second or less from each other. Then Mike out qualifies me by .009 of a second. We had great fun trying to draft and pick up speed on the fast guys that were 3 seconds better than us.
The first Sprint race saw Mike make a great start, passing 3 or 4 cars into turn one. I was on the outside and just held my position until the field got sorted out. The chase was on! It was a 20 lap sprint and by lap 5 I am behind another S2 that is behind Mike. For 3 or 4 laps the 3 of us are running nose to tail. I am waiting for a GT5 car or a back marker to mix us up a little and make a move or attempt a pass. I get my wish on lap 7. I let a fast guy by knowing that he is going to pass the 2 guys that I am chasing. It works and I pass the car trailing Mike. Now Mike and I are running together for 2 laps, he is driving well and I cant find a way around him, we drag race down the front straight twice and I plot my move to get around Mike. Mike is not making any mistakes (except when he put 2 off to kick up a cloud of dirt, blinding me for a couple of seconds, "mistake or planned???) I have to try and get him on the long straight. I hang back to take a run at him out of turn 10, draft off his rear bumper and we fly into turn 1 at over 130 mph. Who will brake first??? I am on the inside of the turn and we go side by side thru the very fast first turn, very slow. I somehow get past Mike and we finish the race about 4 laps latter. We find out latter that Mike has corded his fronts (said Hoosier S04's) and only a heoric effort of his part kept him in the race on such bad tires. We both finish in the middle of the pack of 26 cars and end up 9th and 10th in class.

The Top Gun race had me one spot in front of Mike with a 1 second head start. Mike is now on MPSC as the Hoosiers are toast. I offer to put on my MPSC as we are having so much fun racing with each other and the Hoosiers are 2-3 seconds faster. Mike, the true racing gentleman that he is, insisted that I stick with the fast tires as anything can happen in the Top Gun race and who knows, maybe a podium. Mike and I don't see each other again after the start and I am just trying to stay out of the way of the real fast C,D and E cars that are now racing with us. Again, we finish somewhere in the middle of the pack. This race had people flying off the track, spinning into apexes and a lot of close calls.

I have to say this was the most fun I have had in my short PCA racing career. Such close racing with friends is what PCA club racing is all about. I will never be as quick as the guys that dominate my class (1.18's vs 1.24's) but weekends like this don't make me miss my racing cab at all.

I am sure I missed some stuff, hopefully Mike will fill in the blanks and add some humor my boring recap!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2004, 02:26 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Eric, thanks for the fun read.

Is Greg in GT-2 or B?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Greg has gotten so fast that they had to make up a new class for him...
Old 07-20-2004, 02:38 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear that. Seems like everyone is leaving C class. Must have something to do with the GT-3's and 993TT's.

EDIT: Not glad to hear about that? Think I'm just now getting the message between the lines...

Last edited by kev; 07-20-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:21 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by kev
Glad to hear that. Seems like everyone is leaving C class. Must have something to do with the GT-3's and 993TT's.
Oh great! Now that I'm getting into C class!

I must uphold the honors for the team I guess

Great write up Eric, it brings nice memories from last year. i really like that track.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

I'll echo the compliments -- great write-up Eric. It was a ball racing with you all weekend.

A very fun read but you left out a few memorable moments.

The biggest Ugly of the weekend was when my water pumper fell off the Jack stands.
Eric - post the pic for our wall of shame. They recently paved the paddock. Cars all around us were on stands. Only a few had plywood underneath. I lifted one side and no problem. Put the stand on the other side and went for the to be mounted. Came back to see a stand start to sink. Two pumps of the jack to get a plywood underneath and down she went on two tires and two rotors. Crushed stands but fortunately no other damage. Note to teasm mates -- always, always put plywood underneath jack stands.

Proud moment of the weekend. In the fun race it finally happened. The Big Turtle beat his Arch Nemesis I entered Dead Bear turn to find Doug had parked his 911 across the track, probably having seen the charging turtle in his mirrors and panicking. I deftly motored around him to a fourth in class and my dream HWFM finish -- beating the A-N. and narrowly avoiding a podium.

Other "Goods"

Seeing Zuffenhousen Pete and Jeff 96-993, meeting Norm Goldrich and Jim Childs two incredibly nice guys who are incredibly fast in their respective classes.

Other Bads
Not having Jeff, Danny, Robert and some of our other Putnam regulars there.

Other Uglies
Team fast guy Bill E have the pace car pull out in front of his new (and gorgeous) Cupcar when he was three abreast on a green tack at well over 100 mph. Bill avoided the pacecar, but got airborn in the process. Fortunately his car landed upright and he got it under control without any damage except the front splitter.

finally, Greg, keeping your car off the armco was amazing driving. Wow.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:30 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Nice write up Eric, car looks great. Why don't you think about getting out east (maybe the Glen in October). Perhaps I could hit you up for a little instruction.

Jamie
Old 07-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Kev,
I had to move to GT2 for the weekend. Apparently the scruits don't like my car even though it is handicapped for the class already compared to the Euro RS's and Twin Turbos and GT3's. I raced for three years in its current configuration and I am going to have to add some weight to her (200lbs or so) to stay in C for the next race. I did have fun racing with the big dogs though as it was fun to be a slower car trying to figure out where to get by my competitors. ALso watching the lines of the really fast guys was fun and a good learning experience.

Eric and Mike,
You guys weren't the only one with corded tires. Except mine was one of the rear tires. I had about 10 cycles or more on it. Used them for two prior races. Made the car silly loose. I lost two positions in the last few laps because of them.

I really wish I had my camcorder on for my OTE on the front straight. I must not have pressed record before we left the grid. I got lucky and fortunately gave up on saving the car once it was pointed towards the grass. Only thing that saved me was I didn't look at the armco and just kept looking to the infield.

I didn't see what happened to Bill E. sounds like that could have been really ugly. Did he go to the outside of the track to avoid the pacecar?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:54 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Greg,

I finally figured out what Eric was saying just before your post. Boy do I feel dumb. Thanks for being up front about the situation with the scruits.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by kev
Greg,

I finally figured out what Eric was saying just before your post. Boy do I feel dumb. Thanks for being up front about the situation with the scruits.
If you want to talk about it more send me an email or we can talk on the phone. I can maybe save you some time, pain and money....
Old 07-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Nice write-up, Eric. I was planning on doing Putnam but have been just too busy at work. Maybe next year.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark,
There is another Putnam race in Sept as well. Sept is a great time of year in this part of the country, warm but not much chance of rain.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Greg, we were 3 wide coming down the main straight and the pace car pulled out while the track was green. A GTA car pulled to the right and I had to take the infield to miss him. I went airborn over the first part of the chicane and landed on my nose ripping off the front spliter, brake ducts and right wheel liner. The good news is that looks like the only damage to the car. Who ever sent that pace car out on a green track really messed up.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bill,
That was screwed up call on their part. I know the pace car driver and I am surprised he didn't see you guys coming.

I was wondering why you were wanting to go out on track to find the lost parts. Glad to hear you aren't too worse for the wear.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Greg,

When is the Putnam race and who is running it? I didn't see it on the PCA schedule.

Quick Reply: Running of the Turtles Putnam Park