Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone selling CDR 210? Difficulty installing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:58 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Anyone selling CDR 210? Difficulty installing?

Looking to buy a CDR 210 (mfg by Becker?). Also, How difficult is it to install in a 95 993 and does it work with the Porsche 6 CD in the truck? Thanks
Old 07-18-2004, 11:15 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed one in my '95 a few years ago and had to send it to Becker to modify to wiring harness. My car had an original Alpine CD with Hi-Fi sound pkg. Not sure about the changer. Becker is located in NJ not to far from you so you may be able to call them and bring it in.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:36 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't believe the Becker works if you have a CDC-2 Multiplayer in the trunk. That unit is made by Alpine.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:14 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Thank you for your thoughts. A bit confused. What is the difference between the CDR 210 vs CDR 220. My 95 is a June production model. Was the factory "cassette" radio and Porsche 6 cd changer Alpine manufactured or Becker. From the response by TamiyaGuy, sounds as if it is Alpine, the Becker CDR 220 is out of the question; however, does the CDR 210 work.

Thanks for any insights you may have.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:28 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't speak to the differences between the different CDRs. But, you can tell if you have an Alpine unit by the model number of CR-1 on the cassette slot. I believe that the Alpine units came on the '95 model year. It was a "leftover" from what was on the 964 and 968 cars. Note - The wiring harnesses are different between the two CR-1s and are not interchangeable.

If you're upgrading to a Becker, the key point would be whether the wiring harnesses between the two are the same. If they are, it's just plug & play. That makes it really easy. But if the harnesses are different, you'll have to get an adaptor or splice one from a donor stereo.

Pulling the CR-1 is pretty easy. Remove the trim plate and then slide the steel locking pins up on both sides of the stereo. Pull straight out. I like to place my fingers in the cassette slot and pull that way.

Then unclip all of the wiring on the backend. Have a vacuum handy because there's a lot of loose foam padding around the wires that has gotten crumbly over time. Quite a mess.

Quick Reply: Anyone selling CDR 210? Difficulty installing?