Factory radio, amp & DSP question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 05:17 PM
Bodybag
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Factory radio, amp & DSP question?

Hey,

My question is this, does the factory Becker radio with AM/FM, DSP, Cassette and CD Changer use an external amplifier? There is a unit under the passenger seat that appears to be a small amp but could also be the DSP processor. Maybe it's a combo processor and amp? If anyone knows, I would be gratefull to hear from you. The car is a '96tt, and the radio is a CR-210(?).

BTW, It's been almost 2 years since I've been to the board (Last time I was here was prior to the giant board crash that required eveyone to register again, some of you may remember). Injuries during the last year & a half have kept me at a distance from my car and the board. I used to post as Steve F.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:56 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bodybag:

My car is also a 96TT with the CR201 (and Hifi pkg).

Later on I upgraded with the DSP option which basically involves changing the amplifier (under passenger seat) with another amplifier (w/built in DSP) on the same location and connecting the DSP control module in the driver side door compartment to the wire loom (pre-wired).

So, yes to answer your question either option (HiFi or DSP) have external amp, just different amplifier in the DSP car.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:15 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Talking

Pram;
Could you characterize the DSP enhancement, audibly speaking?
With the HiFi option package as a starting point, I'm considering replacing the stock drivers with quality Dynaudio versions, quality amplification and a fixed EQ. e.g., Audio Control.
The (Fujitsu?) DSP- AMP/EQ could be a alternate to a trunk mounted external amplifier and Audio Control EQ.
DSP - Emm ???? 16bit? Sound glitch-y?

I'm not expecting perfection as a car interior mite as well be a sewer pipe acoustically, only better performance than the factory's constrained paradigm.

TIA
Old 09-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike, you might shoot an email to Rod Birch of Car Audio Innovations (a RL sponsor). He is really helpful when it comes to p-car audio questions, and it doesn't matter if you are too far away to be a customer...he's just a helpful guy period.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:04 PM
bbeckmann
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought all of my components from Rod. Good guy to work with.

I ripped out the hi-fi stuff from my car(amp and speakers for sale, if anyone is looking). I put a 6 channel amp under the seat, replaced the door speakers with Focals, and used Rod's enclosures for subs behind the seats. With the nakamichi in dash 6 disc changer, I've got all the components I need, and everything is hidden away. Given what you have to work with in a p-car, I don't think you'll get much of a benefit out of the EQ. Call Rod though, he'll be happy to help.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:24 PM
Todd P
Advanced

Talk to Rod. He helped me set up my 95 with awesome results. Alpine head unit and amp and MBquart speakers all around.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:22 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Michael:

Even the with HiFi pkg the sound is just not that good. The DSP does improve the sound but the feature that I find is very useful is the auto volume adjustment (speed dependent) and the speed dependent equalization. The last feature somewhat (at least try to) preserve the audibility of the music as the car gets louder from going faster.

Best way is to actually listen to a car that have the DSP to judge it yourself.

I already purchased a three way components MB Quart to upgrade the front speaker set-up, just haven't got the time yet for the install.

Quick Reply: Factory radio, amp & DSP question?