Need rear center reflector

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:57 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whew... Thank you for this thread!

I have been suspicious of my car ever since seeing that the manufacturing date on the rear reflector is 1998 w/ my car being a 1996. I have been looking for reasons why it might have been changed and suspected the worse, looking for crash damage but found none.

Now knowing that the rear reflector is a known problem area could explain why the PO had it changed out. I can sleep better tonight.

You just gotta love this forum!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:25 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by victoria993
David, you have a PM.
Have been travelling and computer I'm using did not let pop-up box for PMs to work.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the rear reflector the same for the wide bodies as the narrow body cars? What is the cost of these reflectors at Sunset Porsche? thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by kkim
Whew... Thank you for this thread!

I have been suspicious of my car ever since seeing that the manufacturing date on the rear reflector is 1998 w/ my car being a 1996. I have been looking for reasons why it might have been changed and suspected the worse, looking for crash damage but found none.

Now knowing that the rear reflector is a known problem area could explain why the PO had it changed out. I can sleep better tonight.

You just gotta love this forum!
Interesting thoughts, Kelly. About a year ago, I gave my old right-rear taillight assembly to a less discerning friend (I had replaced it due to hairline cracks and fade). He mentioned to me later that it was dated '93. Sure enough, my car had been tapped in the right-rear, back in '93. Apologize if I'm going to cause you a restless night....

Sunset sells the center reflector for a 964 for about $180, the taillight assemblies are somewhere between $130 and $140. Both way cheaper than many aftermarket vendors. Would be interesting to hear how much they cost on a 993 (at least the center reflector, as it doesn't look like any of you have had to replace the taillights yet).
Old 07-16-2004, 03:58 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Randall G.
About a year ago, I gave my old right-rear taillight assembly to a less discerning friend (I had replaced it due to hairline cracks and fade). He mentioned to me later that it was dated '93. Sure enough, my car had been tapped in the right-rear, back in '93. Apologize if I'm going to cause you a restless night....

Randall G.-

No apology necessary... had a great sleep last night.

I checked both my tail lights and they are still stamped 1996, which made the 1998 stamp on the reflector even more puzzling. I'm quite sure my car has not been in a fender bender from looking under the car and all, but now w/ this thread, I can see why the reflector might have been changed out. Makes sense to me, now... and please don't talk me out of that line of thinking.

Quick Reply: Need rear center reflector