Failed car theft attempt

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Angry

Tjangi…sorry to hear that dude..a lot of punks out there. This is (in part) why I drive my woman crazy about “finding the right parking space” routine whenever we take a P-car out. The perfect spot being where I can see it from inside the building and with a lot of space around it…

p_carfan…..man o man…what a tear jerker! That pic looks right out of a FBI homicide file…..

AK
Old 07-16-2004, 02:08 AM
SeaJeff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Porsche has the Drive Block System/immobilizer... Does this preclude needing a lojack? I mean, if they can't start it, jump it (due to the computer is shut down) then really all they can do is release the parking break and roll it onto a flat bed truck, drive it to a container, and part it out in Russia.

So is it worth $700-1000 for a Lojack system to prevent this beyond what the immobilizer does already? I figure that if someone REALLY wants it they will have the means and smarts to get it no matter what.

Anyone else have a lojack or heard of someone actually recovering their stolen car w/ Lojack installed?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 507 Posts

I considered a Lojack on my car, but after a lot of research I found that the drive block system is simply awesome and Lojack (monthly fee and installation) is quite expensive. I decided to get good insurance instead. If most of the owners (including myself) can't figure out the drive block system (check the threads on this), that's a pretty good sign. Unless the thieves flatbed the car away, I believe there is no way to move the car.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Bob 96 993 Cab
Advanced

Just this morning I had a car follow me for six miles down the freeway when I was driving to the office. Makes me very UnNerved!!!

With this given theft attempt, one solution is to park next to the curb so they can't put it in neutral and push it with another car.

Just my .02 cents
Old 07-16-2004, 01:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally posted by Frank 993 C4S
I considered a Lojack on my car, but after a lot of research I found that the drive block system is simply awesome and Lojack (monthly fee and installation) is quite expensive.
There is no monthly fee for LoJack.

I decided to get good insurance instead.
The insurance discount I received because I have LoJack paid for the unit in 1 year. Rules for insurance are obviously different in Massachusetts compared to anywhere else but it is worth checking out.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:49 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I just hope that if my car ever gets stolen, that I don't get it back. I have great insurance, so I would be fine. I had my new Golf stolen about 15 years ago, and unfortunately, the cops found it, minus a bunch of stuff. It was hotrodded pretty bad. My insurance (another company) wouldn't pay for the damage to the engine, only the stolen parts. I had to pick up the car, buy the parts, and reassemble the darn thing. The engine blew up in about 3k. Needless to say, I changed companies.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally posted by JasonAndreas
There is no monthly fee for LoJack.
Correct (my bad) but there is a bi-annual service fee. My insurance company does not discount for LoJack. Check the fine print.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:11 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have LoJack in one of my cars...no fee. Only fee is an optional warranty/maintenance fee they offered after the original warranty expires.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:04 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Can the Immobilizer be retrofitted into an earlier 1995 993?

Where is it located to see if I have one already installed.

TIA,
Old 07-16-2004, 03:15 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

i thought of getting lojack but on second thought if my car gor stolen i dont want it back.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:42 PM
SeaJeff
Instructor

Yeah, that's my thought too. There aren't any stickers advertising that a car has lojack (because then the theif can look for it), so there is really NO deterrance in anyway. Lojack won't save what happened Tjangi in this thread. So chances are your car will get thrashed anyway trying to get it onto the flatbed.

There's no monthly fee- just $1000 or so for the unit, warranty on the unit, and a guarantee if they don't get your car (or parts!) back w/in 30 days. I'm also leaning towards the 'rely on insurance' and hope for the best. Or get a fancy alarm that pages you immediately if someone messes with your car. A nice shock sensor and loud siren w/ a cellular pager seems robust!

I hate this part of the car though... like golumn... who covetesss thees rinnnggg.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Talking Found the street where the NJ Police Station is

Couldn't resist
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2004, 09:39 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

lazy lane lol... i think that is right off donut ave?

Quick Reply: Failed car theft attempt