Old 07-25-2002, 11:29 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Post engine oil level gauge

7/25/02
Thursday

Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. I have been reading the Q&A for a while and found the info very helpful.

I have a tech question that I couldn't find answered specifically in any of the past discussions. So here goes....

My car is a 1997 993 C2 (Arena Red and gray) with 20,000 miles that I just bought this past spring from the Porsche dealer in Buffalo. My first Porsche. A one owner beautiful car. It is a blast to drive and own. The engine oil and filters were changed (Mobil 1) this past spring and I have checked the oil dipstick level on a regular basis. The dipstick is checked per the ops manual at idle for a minute or two, flat surface, engine hot and has read full since the oil and filters were changed 3,000 miles ago. If the engine uses any oil it isn't noticeable. No drips or leaks of any kind - dry as a bone underneath.

So my question involves the engine oil level gauge. It bothered me that this oil level gauge always seems to read at max full (2:00 position). I checked the ops manual and it notes how to check the engine oil level gauge function. First, it says that "when the car is at a standstill and the engine is warm, the needle should drop when the engine accelerates." This doesn't happen, the needle still stays at the full or 2:00 position, unless you're motoring down the highway and going thru the rpm range and gears under load. Then it will read down the gauge toward the 4:00 position and vary. Second, the ops manual says that "if the gauge reads maximum when the ignition is switched on (engine off), there is a fault in the gauge." The gauge does read full (again 2:00 position) with the ignition on.

So any ideas? Bad gauge? Bad sensor?

Thanks,

Mike Capocefalo
Old 07-25-2002, 02:33 PM
JJG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if you have too much oil? I had just the opposite problem - the gauge never moved off of empty. Worried, I followed the same oil check procedures you described and the oil level looked ok. So at my recent oil change, I had my shop look into the gauge problem. It turned out to be fine. I was only down about 1/2 qt and the mechanic said the gauge only works on the last quart of oil. Now, the gauge works when the car is warm and at a stable rpm.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2002, 02:51 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Jeff,
I would say you were right, except that the gauge does not 'check out' per the owners manual. The manual is specific in saying that if the oil level gauge reads full with just the ignition turned on (engine off), then there is a problem with the gauge.

The oil level on the dipstick, properly checked, is at full or slightly above. That's why I always thought the dash gauge was correct in staying on max. However the above referenced owner's manual note makes me think there is a guage or sensor problem.

Is the owners manual correct is stating the above 'self-test'?

Mike Cap
Old 07-25-2002, 03:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mike,

Seems that your gauge has problems but for sure, take that oil level of your little down.

If it's full or little above and you get some 'spirited driving' and you really heat up you engine, you'll end up spilling it out.

Start with that and let's see if the gauge still seems odd after you've drained some oil out.

Quick Reply: engine oil level gauge