Stuck in Neutral...Looking for Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 09:45 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts
Post Stuck in Neutral...Looking for Help

Last Thursday, I pulled my '97 C4S into the garage and decided to check and top up the engine oil. After finishing, I reached into the car and shut the engine off with the 6sp in neutral and the parking brake set. When I tried to drive the car on Saturday morning, I found that I could not move the shift lever to engage any gears. The transmission was in neutral, confrimed by letting the clutch out with the engine running.

The gear shifter appears to be in the center position, neutral 3-4 shift plan. I can rock it slightly from side to side but not by much. Same for moving it fore aft to engage 3rd or 4th gears. I visited the dealer and he suggested to check the shift linkage under the car to see if anything had cone adrift. My inspection found nothing obviously wrong. The adjustmne tnut on the adjustment rod was tight an in its orginal poistion as indicated by a dab of red paint.

The illustration in the shop manual, Vol II page 34-31 illustrates the shift linkage for a C4. I have included an illustration from "a parts fiche".

<a href="http://www.msroadrace.com./TechStuff/TechIllustrations/993/7ShifterPedals/Shifter6Speed.jpg" target="_blank">Exploded View of Linkage</a>

From this illustration, there appears to be a rod (item 12) that is either not visible from below the car, not present on a C4, or contained either insdie or above the torque tube carryiong the drivesaht to the fronta axle (unlikely considering the space). Item 24 is not present on a C4 as the the adjustment rod, item 15 is anchored to the bottom of the torque tube.

Any hints as to what to check next?

Where on a C4 is rod 12?

If I can't sort this out in my garage, I'll have to ahve it towed to my dealer. They may be able to loacte an external linkage problem. However, if something has come adrift INSIDE the gearbox, they quite frankly know little about what's inside a manual gearbox.

If the box needs to be opened up, perhaps I should conseder sending it to someone else (ANDIAL, others, suggestions?) to have the repair done. It might be the perfect opportunity to change the gearing to that used in Europe befor 1997 - G64/21.

Does anyone recall the cost for regearing the box to G64/21 specs.

Right now, Im stuck in neutral, and can't go anywhere I can't push the car.

Looking for advice...

Fred R.
LAST 911

Quick Reply: Stuck in Neutral...Looking for Help