Sponsored by:

Shifting Technique

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 07:51 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Arrwin:

You're receiving some great advice here. My thought is that on upshifts, the trick is to get a sense for what revs your engine will be turning once you get there, then do your shift while the revs fall to that level so that when you get back out of the clutch, the revs will be right where they're supposed to be without any throttle adjustment from you (I've never really tried kkim's blipping method on upshifts, although I'm sure it's effective). Every car is different due to differences in gearing, reciprocating mass, flywheel, clutch take-up point, etc. Three months in, I'm still learning my car's "rhythm," which is quite a bit different than my old Probe GT (yeah, that should go without saying). For instance, Scott's light flywheel will cause the engine to drop revs much more quickly than my stock unit when the clutch is in, so his shifts can be correspondingly quicker than mine. Interestingly, I have found that I get a smoother shift, especially under heavy acceleration, when I don't try to rush the shift (although you will have to pick up the pace a little from where you are now; don't let it get down to idle speed ). You get used to these rhythms as you drive the car more, I'm sure.

The real trick is downshifting. As I think someone else said, that's worth 10 pages here or three days at a racing school.

Enjoy that beautiful car (I'm partial to Arena Red myself). I loved your travelogue. I hope I have the chance to take a trip like that myself someday.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:42 PM
victoria993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll know you've got it right when your passenger does not move "forward and backward" in his/her seat when you are upshifting or downshifting. Smooth shifts are great for passengers and also great for the car (especially on the track where upsetting the car's balance and traction can spell disaster!).

Lance
Old 07-14-2004, 09:35 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll know you've got it right when your passenger does not move "forward and backward" in his/her seat when you are upshifting or downshifting. Smooth shifts are great for passengers and also great for the car (especially on the track where upsetting the car's balance and traction can spell disaster!).
Lance this is so right!

My 3.2 Carrera was bought at 89000 miles and sold at 150000 miles, used on the roads with enthusiasm, tracked a few times and this all on the same clutch. Nothing done but oil and filters, tyres and brake components.

Most of all - get the engine and its oil warm (properly) before stamping on the gas!
Old 07-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ramming the shifter into the next gear shows a driver who's been trained by Hollywood, not any understanding of cars.

Great line I learned last year was the 'checkbook' shift. There are two 'beats' to the shift, just like there are two syllables in 'checkbook'. Say, 3rd to neutral: check. Neutral to 4th: book. It's still one word, but you shift deliberately, as others have said, giving the synchros time to do their job.

Don't do a checkbook shift, and you'll wind up USING your checkbook.

I've been watching a lot of transmissions get rebuilt lately, that's a good education as well.

Quick Reply: Shifting Technique