New Porsche owner: 1996 Polar Silver Targa

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:45 PM
1996targa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Porsche owner: 1996 Polar Silver Targa

Hi,

I just bought a 6,500 miles 1996 Polar Silver Targa (black interior, 6-speed). It is entirely stock and practically brand new. I have put almost 800 miles on it since I bought it (having driven it only 5 times since)! What a thrill a 993 is!

As a newbie, I have four key questions for the experts on this site:

1. What should I use to keep the black leather seats looking/feeling new and soft. I noticed that when I wiped the seats with a slightly damp terry cloth, the black leather surface seems to whiten a bit after the water moisture dries. Am I removing natural oils from the leather by doing this? My mechanic recommended Lexol, but I am a bit hesitant to use leather treatment chemicals since I've seen some treated leather seats that don't look that good - they have this artificial glow that makes the leather look plasticy.

2. Having driven 800 miles, my engine does not seem to consume any Mobile 1 engine oil. I have repeatedly checked both the oil level gauge (which seems functional) AND the dip stick (on level ground with the engine warmed up), but the oil level has not budged. Could there be something wrong with my engine? Or is this just the characteristics of a relatively new (6500 miles) engine.

3. My 17" tires are still the original stock PZero Asymetricos. Since the car has been sitting around for 8 years now (being driven only occasionally), is there a chance that the tires have gone bad (e.g. someone told me that tires can dry out over time and pose the risk at high speeds of disintegrating)? I've checked them and the wheel walls and treads all look fine, but the road noise from the tires seem a bit on the noisier side (compared with my friend's 993 coupe with 17" tires).

4. What performance (suspension, wheel, intake, engine, exhaust) mods can I make to a 993 Targa that doesn't compromise its structural rigidity and reliability (of the glass roof mechanism in particular).

Thanks for the replies to come. This site is simply awesome and I thank everyone for educating me about my new ride.

Happy Targa Newbie
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2004, 10:02 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

Contrats on the new car~!!! It looks awesome. For the leather I like Lexol products (cleaner and conditioner) also have the new Meguires leather wipes and those seem pretty good too. Its a good sign the oil can not be detected to deviate after 800 miles...that is more the realm of the turbo. Eight year old tires, Pzeros are probably marginally fine...I have a set of Michellins from 1997 M3 that I use in a pinch and they seem as adequate as you describe. You may be due for new ones in a few thousand miles anyway. Quickie engine mods dont really exist (I know, I've done most of them ) The RSR mufflers seem a popular addition for the sound of more power and driving fun. The ROW springs and Bilstein HD shocks are a good mod for the lousy Monroes that Porsche seemed fit to put on the cars as original equipment.

Hope that gets you started on the much discussed "slippery slope" of Porsche mods~!

Enjoy~!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!! Sounds as though you are hooked already!

I would definately think twice about running tires that old. They do deteriorate, often where the sidewall meets the tread. If you plan to show the car, you may want to remove those wheels and tires, put 'em away and only use them for show's, as original tires are great to see at a concours. Get some 18's with modern rubber and go drive that thing
Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

One more thing, at that low mileage, you may eventually see some oil consumption as those rings are prolly not seated yet..

You really do have a near new car!!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:14 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Car looks great, congratulations! I still miss my '97 Polar Silver Targa, yours brings back good memories.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great car!
I have used Lexol products for 20 years. They will nourish the leather and you will NOT get the shiny look.
I would switch out the tires. It is not worth the risk, especially if you will be driving the card hard. Good Luck and Welcome
Old 07-13-2004, 02:05 AM
1996targa
Intermediate

Guys,

Thanks for the welcoming and informative replies.

Q1.) I will try out the Lexol - do I need to apply BOTH the cleaner and conditioner if my seats are already pretty clean? Or can I just use the conditioner?

Q2.) If I decide to keep the Targa rims (which I kinda like), would you suggest replacing these 8 year stock tires with Pirrelli Pzero Assemytricos again, or something else. BTW: I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where it doesn't rain or snow often and I don't plan to tracking the car soon; but I DO tend to drive fast on the Freeways (when the chance permits)

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:14 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

1996targa,
You are indeed very fortunate to have found such a new car.. it is beautiful!! IMHO, keep the car as original as possible, you have a rare comodity...but I agree with the others..new tires are due..
Old 07-13-2004, 02:28 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

1996 Targa: Beautiful car...only 6500 miles! It wants to be driven I am sure. Lexol products have been good to me too.....brought my 1995 interior to life. Use both the cleaner and conditioner.....you may be surprised how much dirt the leather can absorb over time....and you don't want to condition a dirty surface. If you have any spare time after surfing this site and driving....check out autopia for cleaning tips and questions (no affiliation).

http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php?

I am not one to give you advice on the slippery slope thing....I am in a friggin free-fall right now. Just ordered 2 torque wrenches...in the last 30 minutes....AK
Old 07-13-2004, 09:53 AM
hawk993
Racer

reference: "My 17" tires are still the original stock PZero Asymetricos. Since the car has been sitting around for 8 years now (being driven only occasionally), is there a chance that the tires have gone bad"...not only a chance it is almost guaranteed that they have gone bad. You can have almost 100% tread on the tires and the rubber can and probably is dry rotted. I bought a 928S with tires that were hardly used tires with 95% tread on them, but they were 4 or 5 years old and upon closer examination the tires had little cracks in them, they were dry rotted. I did some research on tires and they just are not meant to be on a car forever, the rubber dries out and your tires will go bad, even with lots of tread on them...meaning you are risking a blow out.

Congrats on the car, it's a beauty!....
Old 07-13-2004, 10:04 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Wow, beautiful car. I wouldn't stress too much about the oil level. Although Porsche formally states that our cars burning a quart every 800 miles is "normal" many here would strongly disagree with that.

My car is approaching 70,000 miles and consistently burns a quart every 1,500 to 2,000 miles. I too religiously checked the level early on, but since consumption is pretty consistent, I don't worry about it too much. Others will report getting over 3,000 miles on a single quart. In short, the fact that there hasn't been an appreciable decrease in oil level over 800 miles should not be cause for concern.

Good luck!!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MikeAlwaysWins
1996targa,
You are indeed very fortunate to have found such a new car.. it is beautiful!! IMHO, keep the car as original as possible, you have a rare comodity...but I agree with the others..new tires are due..
My view precisely.

Second point, become a Rennlist member. It pays for itself quickly and is a source of knowledge
Old 07-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! Beauty of a car! And such low miles!! Add 100k on that, and that's what I have. Congrats on your purchase! You are going to love every drive!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your gorgeous practically brand-new car!

You live in a place that are perfect for these cars. You may also eventually want to meet up with some of the BAR (Bay Area Rennlisters) guys for a nice "spirited" drive around the neighborhood. They are truly great guys.

If you're interested, take a look at my recent post.... Cross-Country Journey

Enjoy the great car!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, what's the story on the car...was it a one owner/only drive once in a while type of car? Did you buy it private party from the PO or from a dealer. Sounds like there might be a story there...those are really low miles.

Congrats!

Quick Reply: New Porsche owner: 1996 Polar Silver Targa