......and I don't plan to tracking the car soon
Thanks!
thats exactly what I said
Old 07-14-2004, 04:09 PM
sleddog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default congrats on your new purchase

I purchased a low mileage targa last year when I replaced my 964 cab and have found this group to be quite knowledgeable. You should look at the FAQ, it has a lot of great info in it that can help you out. As a side note, my 97 targa has 14k miles now and does not burn much oil and has the original tires. Since you have a targa, you may want to do a search in the archives for posts about the targa top. There were some issues with the earlier targa tops (96 and 97 I believe) and Porsche may have posted a service bulletin on them. Other Rennlisters have posted various solutions to targa roof air leak problems that have been reported.

good luck with your car

sleddog

PS: buy a valentine one for the highways
Old 07-18-2004, 04:52 AM
1996targa
Intermediate

I just bought a complete set of 17" Bridgestone Potenza S-03 tires (255/40YR-17 and 205/50YR-17) from Tirerack.com and will have them installed at Custom Alignment in Mountain View, California.

Is there anything I should know about the optimal settings for such a tire replacement and wheel alignment/balance job (e.g. for optimal rear tires tread life)? My car is completely stock and I don't plan to track it anytime soon. Any advice for a newbie changing his 993 tires for the fist time will be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the best way to break-in these tires?

Thanks!

Happy Targa Newbie
Old 07-18-2004, 04:59 AM
1996targa
Intermediate

Sleddog: Just saw a picture of your Arena Red Targa. Wow, beautiful car...what a wax job! What do you use to make your paint glow like that? Car exterior/interior care advice (washing detergent, polish agent, wax used, leather treatments, etc.) would be much appreciated!

Also, how come your OEM tires are not the same as the 2-piece 17" Targa tires that I've got on my car? Did porsche revert to the 17" cup tires in 1997?

Happy Targe Newbie
Old 07-19-2004, 03:04 PM
sleddog
Instructor

I use maguires carnauba wax on it, I think the picture looks better than it does in person A lot of people swear by zymol car care products but it is big $$.

http://www.zymol.com/

I believe the cup rims were an option on the car when purchased. There is not too much special knowledge needed in owning a porsche othr than to drive it often. If you let it sit for long periods, you will want to put a trickle charge on it since there is a small drain on the battery to keep the alarm going, etc. Do a web search for charge-o-mat, it is a porsche trickle charger that keeps your car charged through your lighter. They might have it at performanceproducts.com.

Quick Reply: New Porsche owner: 1996 Polar Silver Targa