993 Forum 1995-1998

PSS9's Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:57 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is everyone on this forum currently downloading the video? :-) Seems that as soon as I posted the link, I started having all sorts of problems on my network. I may have to remove the file and figure out another way to make this available to everyone.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:44 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default bounce test

Wow, that was very noticeable bouncing. I also have pss9's, and am not able to get the car to move like that. Even with my old m030 suspension the car would not bounce around. Does the rear end of the car bounce too, or just the front?

Maybe you have bad control arm bushings?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:05 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

The entire car bounces - not just the front. Visually, the control arm bushings appear to be OK, and the car only has about 42k miles on it, so I don't think that's the problem. But even if they were bad, I would expect the brand-new PSS-9s to be able to dampen this amount of bouncing, no?

Boy am I glad I made this video.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have PSS-9s and they are set in the middle. The car does not budge at all. If I can even get it to move, it comes right back and stops.

I am running the RS Sway bars, if that makes any difference.

Good Luck,
Old 07-14-2004, 07:03 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it were bushings the damping of the pss9's would not come into play. I would assume that either the spring/strut assembly itself was bad, or if it is not bad, it must be some other part of the suspension. Since you indicate that this is a new problem, it seems likely that it is something with the spring/strut vs. another part, unless some other part of the suspension was somehow affected during the install.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:15 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

TroyN - funny side note - - you and I are only 1 post apart. If we can keep talking over the next few months, I think we can quickly catch up to the "old timers" around here.

Anyway - I installed TRG sway bars at the same time, but this shouldn't have had an effect.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:30 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default preload?

Maybe preload on the sway bar(s)? Are you sure there is none when the car is level?

Hmm, I'll have to think of some things to post, I need to get ahead of you!
Old 07-14-2004, 07:58 PM
cojackin
Intermediate

I also installed pss-9 kit love the way it handles it is at rs specs with the TRG sways it is very stiff i don't think i can even press down on the fender to make the car bounce but i still do feel a bounce in the rebound of the shocks mostly in the rear increaced tire pressure makes it go away to some point but whatever setting the shocks on it will feel the same, currently running f8 r4 tires 34f 36r sways are set in the middle .I have not gotten my kinematics set in the rear yet and think this might be the problem. Help anybody.thx
Old 07-14-2004, 09:29 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a pretty wide differential you have between front and rear settings. In several searches I found most recommended the same or 1-2 stiffer in the rear than the front. I'm running 3f/1r and am very happy with it. It's funny, when I was at 3/3, I felt like the front end was underdamped, but in stiffening the rear, the whole car felt more balanced.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:56 AM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default preload?

Maybe preload on the sway bar(s)? Are you sure there is none when the car is level?
How can I tell? I have the TRG sway bar with the link mounted in the 2nd hole from the end.

Re: settings - I have to ask, how do people get odd-numbered settings other than 1 & 9? Am I the only one who has PSS-9s with notches for 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 9? Any setting other than these would mean that the **** is not in a notch and I would imagine this would eventually cause the **** to slip into either 1 setting higher or lower, wouldn't it?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:26 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eye-balling may work if you can see that the links are uneven or look to be skewed. The best would probably be to get the car on ramps so you could get underneath and disconnect one or both of the drop-link/sway bar connections and see if there is any force on either end.

The bar at rest should pretty much not be under any force by either end. If there is preload, you would feel resistance when disconnecting the link as the bar would be trying to even itself out; basically the force it exerts when performing its anti-roll role.

You should also be able to tell if you lifted the car, but both sides need to be off the ground evenly. You should check front and rear, ramps would probably be fastest.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:45 AM
notbob
Instructor

If I may ask how does the PSS9s do over bumps and the like? Living in cincinnati we have a ton of major pot holes and I've built other cars too stiff for living here before.

Also whats the total cost look like for parts?

Labor varies too much, I'm assuming the suspension install is fairly straightforward like most suspensions, but the dialing it in is best left to the pros.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:02 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

PSS9's can do very well, depending on the setting you're using. At full soft they are compliant, too compliant, softer than euro m030 in my experience. I only drove a stock-suspended 993 once, and it's been too long to say how it compared, maybe pretty close on full soft.

As far as dialing in, the main dialing in would be corner balance and align after the install; the rest can be diy'd. Cost-wise, I've mostly seen prices around $2K nowadays. Various Rennlist sponsors, such as Group 9 Motorsports and Viperbob, have been able to get these previously, would check w/ them first.

They are a great upgrade, I wasn't too impressed with the car until getting these installed.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:13 PM
cojackin
Intermediate

Is there anybody that knows why the car is bouncing around like that any info would be much appriceated.THX
Old 07-16-2004, 06:33 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by cojackin
Is there anybody that knows why the car is bouncing around like that any info would be much appriceated.THX
My guess???

I have PSS9s (thanks ViberBob!) - and if I believe what I see - it looks like the damping was totalled. If the installers used an impact socket to intall the top-cap nuts - it's very likely.

Mine do not bounce - even with the original sways...

Just another data-point.....

Quick Reply: PSS9's Installed