Sponsored by:

Thanks + few more q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 11:51 AM
stormy down
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks + few more q's

Thanks to all who replied to my "sanity check" post last week about buying a 95 Cab. Great perspectives - Interesting to note that early replies were more on the data driven/cautious side while later ones tended more to "if PPI is OK- don't beat yourself over the price" approach. Coincidental I'm sure and all great to read.

Couple of PPI items (59K mi car):

Got a rust bubble at edge of windscreen seal psgr side. LOTS of information about this on 993/964 forums regarding fixes and warranty. Body shop shop says they can handle (with glass out) my question is, "Has anyone heard of this being a "show-stopper" once fully uncovered?"
Impossible to say I know, but opinions are what this site so bloody marvelous!
Possibility repair has been done before (good paint finish) but would of had to be before mid 1999. Yes, it has had it's 10th birthday!

Next, rear shocks approaching demise with rear w/bearings a future watchout. If I can last the summer I assume these items OK for DIY (competent but slow) with "bought" help for bearing press and alignment?
Thoughts?

This is so much fun and I don't even own it yet! Cheers,

Tony
Cincy

S4/A6 Now
86 911/86 944T Then
Old 07-11-2004, 01:42 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that a rust bubble under the seal for the windsheild to be indicative of a previous windshield replacement. Is there a service record showing a windshield replacement from a stone chip or crack? The installer of the new windshield may have nicked the paint under the seal and this can cause a rust bubble years later.

Prior to the sale of my 1989 Carrera last month, I had this same issue resolved on that car. It had several stone chips in the sindshield so I replaced it and had the rust bubbles repaired. I used Quality Automotive as the paint and body shop. The owners name is Rodney Striker, and I have used him for Porsche repairs for the last 20+ years. He is an awesome painter. You might want to run the car by his shop and have him take a look. He is located at the Paddock/Seymour exit on I-75.

Quick Reply: Thanks + few more q's