Sponsored by:

Sunroof removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Marshall M
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sunroof removal

Anyone ever removed the sunroof panel? I need to replace my felt seals. Any suggeestions appreciated. Thanks

ps - Recently paid my dues. When will I get the red "Rennlist Member" status?
Old 03-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Marshall M:
<strong>ps - Recently paid my dues. When will I get the red "Rennlist Member" status?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Email the administrator at admin@rennlist.com.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:38 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Marshall M:
<strong>Anyone ever removed the sunroof panel? I need to replace my felt seals. Any suggeestions appreciated. Thanks

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Sorry, don't have time to get the link, but Pelican Parts has a technical article on it on their site.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:54 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Silicon spray makes miracles. I had once BMW with leaking sunroof. I feeded rubber seals with silicone oil and the leakege stopped. I recommend this easy fix before elaborate change.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:20 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Marshall,

You didn't say why you wanted to change the felt seals. If they're not torn or leaking but just faded out you can re-dye them easily.

I used "Forever Black", the dye that is used to color bumper covers and rubber seals, but I'm sure a black carpet dye would work just as well. Mask around to protect the paint and use a slamm detailing paintbrush.

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red
Old 03-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Marshall M
Advanced

Unfortunately, both the small felt piece and the larger one have come unglued and been "bitten" by the panel. Just purchased the car a month ago and am in the mode of getting everything fixed for good. I'll check out Pelican and see what their tech site has to say. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:27 AM
deltajetfixer
Advanced

You need to:
1)Remove the pop-up wind deflector from the front of the sunroof cavity. This will facilitate the replacement/reglueing of the large seal. I can't remember whether it's necessary for clearance of removing the panel itself though.
2)GENTLY pry (with your fingers only) the vinyl trim panel from the underside of the sunroof panel starting at the front and working back.It's held in by springclips.
3)I seem to remember four screws/bolts that are the only things holding the sunroof panel to the cable mechanism. The removal of the proper parts becomes self-evident once you've gotten this far.
4)Before you start, make a careful note of the height of the longer seal (the one that wraps 3/4 of the way around the openning)as once you glue it (3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive), it will be a bitch to remove and reglue. The single seal on the rear of the sunroof panel was "self-adjusting" and installed flush without any fitment issues.
5)Use white mineral spirits or kerosene for prep and cleanup. After you prep the surface (you're really just cleaning off the old stuff) be sure to degrease it with alcohol as the mineral spirits leave a residue.
6)Don't rush and you shouldn't have a problem. The fit was such that scratching the sunroof on removal and installation really wasn't an issue but tape off the area if it makes you feel better...I don't want to be blamed for a scratch!

Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:11 PM
Marshall M
Advanced

Thanks, This is exactly what I was looking for. I ordered the seals today, and should have the job complete in a few weeks.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:36 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marshall, can you take a few pictures to create a DIY??? I'm sure that a lot of other rennlisters ( including me ) would be interested in this procedure.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:44 PM
Marshall M
Advanced

Will do. I'll let everyone know when it is complete.

Quick Reply: Sunroof removal