Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front bumper respray????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:21 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an estimate from a high end shop that does primarily Porsches. I have a scratch as well as the regular road rash. They quoted me approximately $700 over the phone. They will give me more details once I bring the car into the shop.

BTW: They were recommended by several Rennlisters as well as my mechanic. It will be a quality job well done.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:44 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

I just did most of what you are talking about, as the logical extension of putting in the Cargraphics cooler....slipping...slipping. The new bumper looked great until the second or third track weekend. It still looks better, but it is called a bumper for a reason ;-( (just bugs, stones and marbles). Anyway, I'm still glad I did it.
Chuck
Old 07-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Cary,

"I have stress cracks in the paint that the shop says came from the bumper being used....must have happened in a parking lot....oh well."

Please note that if the paint is cracked from a parking ding, so is your bumper cover. It may not show immediately, but over time the "ding" may develop under the new paint. I've seen no examples of this on P-cars (there are very few out here) but I have seen it on plastic bumpers before. A parking lot ding with apparently no damage and then 6 months later bingo.

I did replace my bumper cover when in similar circumstances, but admittedly besides preventing doing the job twice, that had something to do with wanting to change to the TT cover.

Enjoy

Nol
Old 07-08-2004, 11:56 AM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Nol and others

I first noticed this upon returning to the airport parking lot. I thought someone had keyed it. The series of 10 or so horizontal very fine "cracks in the paint are about 2 feet across and nicely centered. Well your lesson that it is better to wait may be my best option. My body guy is very thorough and he uses heat to rework/ reshape the bumper cover so I suspect his repair would keep this from happening. Despite my best efforts to be the only guy on the board w/ a completely stock car....you guys have pushed me to the precipice of the slippery slope. Perhaps a good winter project is at hand.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:16 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

I am having mine resprayed as we speak...should get it back tomorrow. When each of you is referring to a "front end respray" and the prices you are quoting, I assume you are referring to literally just the nose? I am having the nose, hood, front fenders, mirrors, door handles, rocker panels, doors and paint feathering into rear fenders (and new fender stone guards) All chips are filled, blocked and primed. I think the plastic grill is either being replaced or painted black. I have had other cars done by this guy (both repair as well as maintenance) the work is high end, first rate PERfect....Just shy of $3k.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

having my bumper resprayed and having the bumperetes removed - cost $575

Quick Reply: front bumper respray????