Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak/engine drop..what else??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Burt Goodwin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil leak/engine drop..what else??

98 C2S has an increasing oil leak...independent tech. says it's coming from the cylinder head and new gaskets needed...RMS apparently o.k...at 32k miles, with engine down, new clutch seems reasonable. What else should be done or inspected "while you're there"? Plugs? Plug wires? Secondary air passage cleaning to avoid dreaded carbon build-up? Any advice along these lines much appreciated...thanks to all!
Old 07-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default me too

Going through similar thought processes. From reading on the forum and talking to local P-fans....this is not an uncommon question. I am told the most common spot for a leak is around the valve cover...so clean up the area real well and make sure the leak is really from your base gasket. A certain amount of base gasket leaking appears to be acceptable by most people I have talked to...and many wont drop the engine for a re-seal until after it becomes unbearable. It drives me nuts...so I am looking on a DIY engine drop (oh boy) vs. having the shop do it ($$). When I drop mine, I figure might as well do a complete re-seal of base gaskets, valve covers, timing chain covers.

Also a good time to get to the plugs, power steering belt......and god knows what else. Ordered new caps, rotors, wires while I was at it ordering parts........and I am just getting started with the basics...I LOVE IT! AK
Old 07-07-2004, 11:21 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do the RMS for sure, even if it's not leaking ... input shaft seal ... do the 30k service, as the plugs are much more accessible (I've heard a lot of shops don't bother with the really hard to reach plugs with the engine in the car) ... I would highly recommend going with the lightweight flywheel and RS clutch, as I just had that done to my 95 and it completely transforms the car and it's really not any more expensive. While the engine's out, it's a good opportunity to clean up the engine bay and the engine itself.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 07-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts

32K seems a bit early unless you have $$ burning a hole in your wallet for the LFW upgrade. Most go out around 75K. I have never replaced any wires. I change distr caps and belts every 30K whether they need it or not.

Quick Reply: Oil leak/engine drop..what else??