Sponsored by:

K&N Filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 07:48 PM
SteveIH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post K&N Filters

I am curious as to everyones experience with K&N air filters... I dropped one into my 993 cab, and have to see i can definitely feel a difference. I have heard some people (including p-car dealer) say that there are problems with them letting in dirt, etc. Opinions anyone?
Thanks
Steve
Old 03-28-2003, 08:14 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't really worry about the dirt issue it is a pretty good filter. Although it breaths a little better it definately keeps the dust out. I am not really sure though about feeling a noticable gain with the filter...it may sound a little different but the hp should not increase much at all if any.

If you have an open box or a drilled box then you may have a slight increase. Some of the "GURU'S" can probally answer this a little more clearly.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:55 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steve
There have been several archived threads on K&N & other "free flow" filters. Try a search. IMO, none of them filter as well as oem paper & none produce any significant increase in power in a 993. If you think you feel a difference, it's more than likely in your head. Past posts reporting independent dyno tests & filtration testing support that conclusion.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004346#000000" target="_blank">Got an K&N filter,...</a>

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001195#000000" target="_blank">K&N Filters</a>
Old 03-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard about problems with K&N filters; BMC filters supposedly better. No problems wiht BMC unit in about 3 years.

(HP increase???? Bat Guano - unless it's horses about the size of your thumb)
Old 03-29-2003, 12:05 AM
SteveIH
Intermediate

Alright, alright, so maybe it was in my head, but I was sure enjoying it! Truth is I had the car put away for the winter and havn't driven it since November, it could be that I simply forgot how much I love driving this car! Thanks for the input.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:44 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 253 Posts
Tried the K&N cone filter/intake setup (basically removing the entire factory box, etc..) for 1 1/2 yrs. Now back to OEM box w/drilled-out holes and OEM filter, here's the reason why...

First of all, from a sound-point-of-view, I prefer the factory box with lotsa holes cut into it. The K&N sounded like an air-leak at idle. At WOT, both are equally sweet (again, gotta drill the factory box.)

Second, just looking at the factory air filter inspired more confidence than the K&N - factory just seems better..

Third, no power gained whatsoever..even heard people losing power w/ K&N air intake system, but can't directly comment on that..

IMHO, save the $, drill-out your existing factory air-box, and spend the $ on something else. Do you have a factory strut brace? Same $, much better investment..

Old 04-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stick with the paper element. There's been no real evidence showing that K&N, or BMC for that matter, offer better performance.

Quick Reply: K&N Filters