Sponsored by:

Remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:43 AM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Remote starter

My wife wants to add a remote started to her Toyota, does anyone know of a shop in Northern NJ or NYC area that does a good job on installing a remote starter. Also what's a good brand to get
Old 03-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AC,

I had a remote starter put on my girlfriend's Toyota about 6 weeks ago. Try Bestbuy. I used them in the end because they are all over the country and any store will honor warranty/workmanship problems with the system should they occur. I have used them several times in the past at locations all over the country for electronics for my Truck and I never (knock on wood) had any installation or quality issues. - Sorry but I do not remember the brand name of the remote starter I had installed. I do remember that they had several different ones depending on the options you wanted in addition to remote start - i.e. keyless entry, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Labatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't suggest a remote starter during the winter time (which is usually when most people want them for). It can be pretty bad for the engine to start the vehicle when it's really cold and then idle it without moving for a while. The oil won't start warming up and circulating through the engine for quite some time at a cold idle. You have to start driving it... Just my 2 cents worth (secondhand knowledge, but it made sense to me)... feel free to correct... For the summertime, it's probably not as bad, but from what I understand it's all about oil circulation...
Old 03-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume this is a wimp stick? Doubt if they do them on manual trannies.

I'm also with the others; likely not the best idea to start a stone cold dead car and let it idle for long periods. I've generally heard to drvie away as soon as possible, but take it easy till the car warms up.

Are there aftermarket seat covers with heaters in them? Seat heaters are fabulous in the winter!

Quick Reply: Remote starter