Sponsored by:

DME (Engine CPU) reprogramming for 1996 993 by Racing Dynamics

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 03:35 AM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DME (Engine CPU) reprogramming for 1996 993 by Racing Dynamics

I know based on what almost everyone tells me that the 1996 993 is one of the hardest cars to have the DME (Engine COU) reprogrammed. I was surfing the web trying to find some 993 parts sites when I came upon one for Racing Dynamics. I saw on their website that they can add a performance EPROM to the 96 on up 993 after you ship the DME to them. Has anyone looked into this? I would be interested to know if they have done it successfully for the 1996 993. Here is the link to that site (I have no affiliation with Racing Dynamics and just posting to see if I can get others to comment about it):

<a href="http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=200.90.14.234&Category _Code=po" target="_blank">http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PRO D&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=200.90.14.234&Category_Code=po</a>
Old 03-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

ttt
Old 03-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Art,

According to many posts and the Rennsport Website, a 1996 DME can not be reprogrammed, it can only be replaced by a '97 or '98 DME (that can be reprogrammed). A '96 was the first year of OBDII and the chips used are different than later years. A '95 has OBDI and a new chip can be easily inserted (for '97 and later the whole ECU must be removed and sent for reprogramming.

The only option I've seen that would work with the '96 is to use a piggy-back computer like the Unichip. The folks at TRG were very helpful when I discussed this option with them. You might give them a call. (They are located at Sears Point.) The Unichip does not allow as many changes as a complete reprogram, but you don't have that option with a '96. One benefit of the Unichip is that it is done on a dyno with your car so you know exactly what the benefits are. One other advantage is that you can get it with two fuel maps (eg, 92 octane and 100 octane) and use a toggle switch to control which map is used. Is was quoted about $1000 for a single map and $1500 for dual map about 6 months ago. TRG was also willing to provide a loaner for the day or so it would take to get it all done.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:03 PM
OPTIMO
Instructor

Just for your information - <a href="http://www.racdyn-usa.com" target="_blank">www.racdyn-usa.com</a> is not Racing Dynamics - but a knock off. RacDyn is a shop operated in Alexandria, VA - near me and they used to be one of two official importers for Racing Dynamics S.p.A. here in the States, the only one on the East Coast. However, Frederico Pavoncelli found out that they were making their owns parts and slapping a RD logo on them - and the parts were of inferior quality and hurting the RD name.

RD only modifies BMWs (and Mini now) so if you ever see an RD product for something besides a Bimmer, you know it's fake.

I have an RD exhaust, FSB and sways on my 2000 323 cab and I don't have any complaints (ok, well a small one with the rear sway bar and the endlinks).

If you are looking for chip tuning for your P-Car, Racing Dynamics is not the place.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Todd Knighten can reprogram a 96, but he must solder on an extension to plug a flashable Eprom onto is my understanding of how that is handled with a 96 DME. Finding a 97-98 box is still the easiest but the 96 can definitely be done these days.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Glen:
<strong>Todd Knighten can reprogram a 96, but he must solder on an extension to plug a flashable Eprom onto is my understanding of how that is handled with a 96 DME. Finding a 97-98 box is still the easiest but the 96 can definitely be done these days.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I used to have a Protomotive ( aka Todd Knighten ) DME. It was a 96 ECU that the PO had modified.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts
As Tom say, Unichip (previously known as the ProGram) is an alternative.

Key to its success is the programmer (Racers Group is I understand exceptionally good at this). I had one installed in my 964 in Singapore, but due to less than stellar programming by the local dealer (the guy here just didn't have expertise in mapping of Porsche engines), did not actually add to the performance of the car unfortunately. Given the right programming, I understand that there are gains to be made (Excellence ran an article on a 996 sometime regarding this modification).

Quick Reply: DME (Engine CPU) reprogramming for 1996 993 by Racing Dynamics